Windows File Service
(Windows File Service runs on the Active Directory infrastructure)
This service provides a secure file storage space on a central datacentre where departments can save their data. Departments on campus can be provided up to 25 GB of storage space per full-time staff member.
Departmental group spaces may be set up where members of a team can save data. Each member would be provided access to the data saved in the group’s space.
WFS can also be set up as a personal space within your department’s allotted storage space. Although a user’s private storage folder is within their department's space, files are private and not accessible by anyone other than the user. If the user leaves the department, a request can be made that the personal WFS space be moved to the new department.
Since the data is not stored on personal hard drives, if anything happens to the user’s computer (e.g., it gets a virus, is lost or stolen, or is replaced), the stored data is safe in Queen’s datacentre.
Files within WFS can be accessed from off-campus using the Queen’s Virtual Private Network.
Who can have it?
- Queen's faculty and staff, organized by department
Are there any costs?
- Basic service provides departments up to 25 GB of storage space at no charge, covered by baseline funding. Please refer to our page on Service Fees for details.
- ITS will provide a free needs assessment.
How do I get it?
- To get started, please contact the IT Support Centre by calling 613.533.6666 or by filling out the Online Help Form.
- Once your Windows File Share Service has been created by ITS, you can follow the tutorial to map a network drive manually.
- Windows users have the option of having their computer joined to Active Directory (AD), this will automatically map the drive(s) for them.
There are two servers located within a Storage Area Network backend to improve uptime and performance. These servers are located in a climate-controlled, secure, and UPS-equipped computer room. Computers that are joined to Active Directory can automatically map their department’s shared drives. Windows and Mac computers may use WFS without joining their computer to AD. See the tutorials to learn how to manually map drives.
Each department is allotted space based upon the number of full-time staff and the total is maintained with quota software. This quota may be increased quickly by request, for a fee (see Service Fees). User access can be added or removed by having your ITAdmin Rep submit a request to ITS. Alternatively, departments can control security for themselves via Active Directory access groups which are created by ITS. All server files are backed up to a secondary datacentre with nightly snapshots available.
- For shared print service, a feature of AD, please see the Print Service page.
- Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, Enterprise or Ultimate.
- Mac OS X 10.9.5 or later
- Other operating systems can connect to Microsoft Active Directory and may function but are not supported.
- The Master Service Agreement governs all of the Managed Services for Windows; Appendix B provides additional information specific to the Windows File Service.
- The targeted availability of this service is twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week (24x7).
- Users of the service should expect occasional but infrequent service interruptions or slow downs, both planned and unplanned.
- Where it is necessary to schedule system maintenance that necessitates a service outage, ITS will do this outside of regular business hours whenever possible.
- Regular security patching will occur. Please check the ITS Notification page for information about unplanned service outages.
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
- Backup, Recovery, Archiving and Retention
- Facilities Management Page
- Service Level Objective - Availability
- Service Interruption and Restoration
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
- Electronic Information Security Policy Framework
- Intellectual Property - QUFA Collective Agreement, Article 16
Help & Support
ITS can help with ...