Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft Office 365 is a web-based suite of applications. Microsoft Office 365 is delivered to users through the cloud. Applications currently available at Queen's include Exchange Online for email and calendar, Office 365 Groups and Microsoft Planner, Office Delve, Microsoft Forms, Office Sway, Yammer, Skype for Business (formerly Lync) unified communications (messaging and video conferencing), OneDrive for Business, Office Online and the traditional Microsoft Office software for your desktop computer.
- Email & Calendar
- 50 GB of storage space
- Calendar - manage your schedule, book meetings, share your calendar with others
- Tasks - create daily to-do lists and set reminders
- Contacts - store your contacts and then access them from any computer or mobile device
- Office 365 Groups and Microsoft Planner is a collaboration tool that unifies select Office 365 apps, enabling teams to come together in a shared workspace.
- Outlook Email Inbox with 50 GB of storage for group email communication
- Outlook Calendar for scheduling group meetings and events
- Global Address List entry to facilitate email and calendar group communications
- Document Library with 10 GB of space for storing and working on group files and folders
- OneNote notebook for taking project and meeting notes
- SharePoint Team Site for information, links and content relating to your group
- Microsoft Planner for organizing and assigning tasks and getting updates on project progress
Office ProPlus - Microsoft Office suite for your desktop or laptop. Also includes apps for your mobile devices.
OneDrive for Business - provides cloud storage for your documents. You can create and edit documents using the office online programs or desktop software, collaborate with others to create and edit documents, share your documents with others, and sync your desktop/online files so they are always up-to-date.
Office Delve is a Microsoft app designed for the Office 365 suite of software. By displaying information and documents that are most relevant for each person based on the work they are doing and the people with whom they are engaging, Delve makes file sharing and content management easy. The app presents content to you intuitively using visual content cards, which means retrieving information is a quick and stress-free process.
Yammer Enterprise is a private social network that enables the Queen's community to connect and collaborate with one another.
Microsoft Forms provides a quick and easy way to create custom quizzes, surveys, questionnaires, registrations and more.
Office Sway provides a way to create and share interactive reports, presentations, personal stories, newsletters, work projects, and more.
- Fully integrated email, calendar, file storage, tasks and contacts
- Feature-rich web interface
- Seamless mobile integration
- Integration with other Office applications and collaboration tools like Microsoft Skype for Business (formerly Lync), OneDrive for Business
- 99.9% service uptime, plus enhanced malware and spam protection from Microsoft
Who Can Have It?
- All students currently attending Queen's University.
- Staff and Faculty
- Queen's alumni are also entitled to use Office 365 for email and calendaring as part of the Email for Alumni service.
Are There Any Costs?
- This service is provided at no cost to eligible users.
How Do I Get It?
- If you have not already activated your NetID, you will need to do so before you can access this service. For more information on how to activate your NetID, please read this tutorial.
- Once your NetID is activated, you can access the service by logging into Office 365 at https://outlook.com/queensu.ca
- If you need help configuring your account or email client, see the Office 365 Email Tutorials.
How Do I Discontinue It?
- Your Office 365 account will remain active until you leave Queen's.
- Please see the Service Termination Dates page for details on when service will be discontinued following departure from Queen's.
- If you are a student who is graduating from Queen's, your account will automatically transition to the Email for Alumni Service one year after graduation - unless you return to Queen's within that year.
- To keep your email service active, you must log into your account at least once per year. If you are only using your Queen's email account to forward mail to another address, then you will still need to log in to avoid loss of service.
- For information on which browsers, Office clients, and apps are supported for Office 365, please visit the Office 365 System Requirements page on the Microsoft website.
- If you are switching to the Office 365 service from the on-premise service, it may be necessary to make configuration changes to your email client, such as Microsoft Outlook, or any devices, such as your smartphone. For help, please refer to the tutorials for tablets and handheld devices.
Publishing Option Settings:
- The Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 email services include a built-in directory of Queen's email addresses known as the Global Address List(GAL).Students and Alumni can change your publishing option settings (whether you wish to be visible in this directory) by following the Publishing Options Settings tutorial.
Office 365 Add-Ins
- Add-ins (e.g. FindTime!) for Office 365 applications are not supported.
- Office 365 provides features that are accessible and usable for people who have special needs or disabilities. For more information,visit: Microsoft's Accessibility in Office 365.
- The Queen's Accessibility Hub is a central online resource for accessibility at Queen's and has information and developed a series of "How-to Guides" to assist faculty, staff, and students create an accessible learning environment across the university.
- Highly available, with guaranteed 99.9% uptime from Microsoft.
- Users of the service should expect occasional but infrequent service interruptions or slowdowns, both planned and unplanned.
- Where it is necessary to schedule system maintenance that necessitates a service outage, ITS will do this outside of regular business hours whenever possible.
- Please check the ITS Notification page for information about unplanned service outages.
- Standard Hours of Operation
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
- Electronic Information Security Policy Framework
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Queen's Policy on Administrative Student Surveys
Help & Support
ITS can help with ...
- Tutorials (see tutorials for individual services)
- FAQs (see FAQs for individual services)
Alumni can get support for email services through Alumni Relations by emailing email@example.com, or by calling the Contact Centre at 1-800-267-7837 (Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm).