Research Network Access (ORION)
The Ontario Research and Innovation Optical Network (ORION) is an ultra high-speed fibre optic network that connects Ontario's research and education institutions to one another, and to partners and colleagues throughout Canada and around the world.
Who Can Have It?
- All members of the University may use the service. Internet use on the University campus will automatically use ORION when accessing a site at another organization connected to ORION or one of its partner networks.
- Specialized data network facilities, such as private multi-site virtual LANs and dedicated optical wavelength paths are also available to support research and education projects.
Are there any costs?
- There is no cost passed on for normal use.
- Specialized facilities are priced case by case.
How Do I Get It?
- Visit http://orion.on.ca/
Contact Hugh Flemington, Coordinator Campus Networks, at 613-533-3365 for consultation on specialized data network facilities.
Hardware required for this service:
- an ethernet interface (wired, wireless), OR
- an optical data interface
Software required for this service:
- TCP/IP protocol support, included in most operating systems
- software to support the specific use, e.g., web browser, file transfer program
Please see here link for the availability of this service.
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service: