Apple OS X 10.5 - QueensuSecure_WPA2
Note: If you are having trouble configuring a wireless connection please drop by the Learning Commons Desk, located on the ground floor of Stauffer Library, for help.
What do I need To connect to QueensuSecure_WPA2?
To connect to the Queen's Secure Wireless Network - QueensuSecure_WPA2 you will need:
- A Queen's NetID and password
- A wireless network card that supports secure wireless encryption using WPA2 (All Airport Extremes support WPA2)
- A location close to one of the Queen's access points
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later
How do I know if my wireless card supports WPA2?
Note: These screen shots were created on Mac OS X 10.5.0 Other versions may be slightly different.
- Check that you are running Mac OS X 10.5 or later.
- Click on
AppleIcon in menu bar
About this Mac
- You will see the Version of Mac OS you are running. If you are running 10.3.x and X is less than 9 you can use software update to update to 10.3.9.
- Click the More Info.. button to check your wireless card.
- The More Info... screen will open.
- Look for the Wireless Card Type: (All Airport Extremesupport WPA2)
- Your Wireless card also needs to support WPA2.
Before You Configure Your Connection
Before you configure your secure wireless connection will need to go to https://netid.queensu.ca and log in using your NetID and password to check your status. This is a one time step only and must be completed by
AllStudents, Faculty and Staff.
Configure Your Wireless Connection
- Click on the wireless icon located in the Menu bar
- The AirPort menu will open
Turn AirPort On
Note: If AirPort is already on skip to the next step.
- The None of your preferred networks are available screen may open. If it does not open, go to Step 4.
- Click the
- Continue on with Step 5
QueensuSecure_WPA2 from the AirPort menu.
- The 802.1X Authentication screen will open
- In the User Name: box enter your
- In the Password: box enter your
- If this computer is used by others, or you use other NetIDs check the box Only use this password once
- If you did not check the box Only use this password once you will be prompted to save your confidential information (NetID and password) in your keychain
- Click the
Always Allow button
- The AirPort menu will be displayed.
- Now QueensuSecure_WPA2 has a check mark beside it indicating this is the default connection.
Open Network Preferences...
- The Network Preferences... screen will open
- Select AirPort
- Click the
- The Advance AirPort screen will open
- Select the AirPort Tab (if not already selected)
- The Preferred Network (default) will be listed at the top.
- If QueensuSecure_WPA2 is not the first network listed, drag it to the top to make it the Preferred Network
- You are now connected to the QueensuSecure_WPA2 wireless network. Future connections at Queen's will default to this network. Depending on the options you choose, you will be prompted for your NetID and password (step 5), or your Keychain (Computer login) password (step 6).
Disconnect from the wireless network
From the menu bar select the
AirPort menu and select
Turn AirPort Off.