Update on Wireless Expansion
A major project run by ITServices to evolve and expand wireless access at Queen’s is currently underway. When it’s done:
- there will be over 2,000 wireless access points on campus, an increase of over 500 points; and
- new technology will allow us to quickly analyze the network and respond to issues as they arise.
During this fall exam session, we are closely monitoring wireless on campus, especially in busy spots like the libraries.
- System bandwidth can become overloaded when libraries are at peak capacity and people are connecting with multiple devices.
- We have implemented several improvements in the weeks leading up to exams to address specific issues.
- We are working with our wireless network provider to quickly implement some improvements used at other schools. We know the quality in the libraries is not where it needs to be and we are working on it.
Check out our map of current wireless coverage and future expansion.
Stay tuned! We’ll let you know as more and more locations come online…