Queen's students, employees now required to update their passwords annually
Spread the word! Starting in 2017, all Queen's students and employees will be required to update their NetID password on an annual basis (12 months from the date of your last password change). This does not affect PeopleSoft users who already regularly change their passwords every 120 days.
What does this mean for me?
- If you have not changed your password in the last 12 months, you will be sent a notification indicating your password will expire in 14 days.
- If your password remains unchanged, you will receive a reminder email 7 days prior to password expiry.
- These emails will not contain links – you must navigate to the NetID Profile Manager to change your password.
- You can find the NetID Profile Manager by clicking on "Search and Sign in" from the Queen's homepage and selecting "Change password and manage NetID".
- If you fail to change your password within the required timeframe, you will be locked out of your account and lose access to all services associated with your NetID.
Changing your password now will ensure you enjoy uninterrupted access to your account.
Once you change your password, you will not be contacted about password changes for the next 12 months. When your account is approaching password expiry, you will receive an email prompt 14 days prior asking you to change your password.
Why is Queen’s implementing this change now?
Queen’s is committed to keeping our users and resources on campus secure; as a result, Information Technology Services has developed strengthened password procedures.
- By regularly changing your password, the amount of time an account can remain compromised is lessened.
- In late 2016, Queen’s strengthened our password complexity standards from eight characters to ten characters. Ensuring all users update their passwords will ensure that all Queen’s students and employees are on-board with the new complexity standards.
How to create a strong password!
When creating a new password, take your time and give it some thought. If you need some inspiration on how to create a secure password, visit the Strong Passwords page on the ITS website for tips and best practices.
Need help or have further questions?
The IT Support Centre (ITSC) is here to help! If you need assistance with the NetID Profile Manager or creating a strong password, contact the ITSC by calling 613-533-6666 or by filling in the Online Help Form.
Beware of phishing emails!
The latter half of 2016 brought increased incidents of phishing emails to our users’ email accounts. None of the Queen’s official emails you receive telling you to change your password will contain click-through links. If you receive an email asking you to click a link to verify your account, don’t click!
If you have received a phishing message, report the email by forwarding it to email@example.com. If you have clicked on the link, please change your password using the NetID Profile Manager and contact the ITSC immediately by calling 613-533-6666 or by filling in the Online Help Form.