Microsoft Lync is available to Exchange and Office 365 users. It can be used for communications and collaboration and brings together an experience with enterprise-grade security, compliance and control. It includes presence, IM, voice and video calls, and online meetings. Since it is built right into Microsoft Office, initiating chats, voice and video calls and meetings is an integrated experience within Office.
Please note: Lync is not a formal form of communication and not meant to take the place of email or other types of official correspondence used for conducting university business.
Recently Microsoft updated the Lync client for Windows 7 and 8.1 to Skype for Business. The new client is also available for some tablets and phones.
Mac users will continue to use the Lync for Mac client until a Skype for Business Mac client is available.
Note: it is possible the icon on the Office 365 Software portal page will be for Skype for Business. If there isn't a Skype for Business client for your operating system the Lync client will be downloaded.
Who Can Have It?
- Lync is available to Queen's faculty, staff, and students
- Lync is accessed using your Queen's email address and password. (Note: this must be your NetID@queensu.ca)
What Platforms does Lync work on?
- Windows 7, Service Pack 1 (will automatically update to Skype for Business)
- Windows 8 (will automatically update to Skype for Business)
- Mac OS X 10.5, or a later version
Are There Any Costs?
- There is no cost for the service
- The basic client is provided at no cost and is available from MyqueensU in the Software Centre. It can be used on campus or off campus
- If Office 2013 is installed on your PC or device, then Lync 2013 is included with it.
How Do I Get It?
Lync is included with Office 2013.
If you are not running Office 2013 a standalone Lync client can be installed. Download the client:
- For University owned computers: Log in to MyQueensU and download the client from the Software Centre
- Lync 2013 Basic 32-bit for Windows (recommended) (will automatically update to Skype for Business)
- Lync 2013 Basic 64-bit for Windows (will automatically update to Skype for Business)
- Lync 2011 for Mac
- For Personal Use: Download the client from Office 365
- For Mobile devices
- Search for Lync 2013 at the device's app store. Note: if a Skype for Business version is available for your device that will be downloaded instead.
- The targeted availability of this service is twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week (24 x 7).
- Users of the service should expect occasional but infrequent service interruptions or slowdowns, both planned and unplanned.
- Where it is necessary to schedule system maintenance that involves a service outage, ITServices will do this outside of regular business hours whenever possible.
- Check the ITServices Notification page for information about unplanned service outages.
Standard Hours of Operation
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
Help & Support
ITServices can help with ...
Or, contact the IT Support Centre by calling 613-533-6666 during regular business hours or by filling out the online help form.