Encryption - Android devices
Warning: After encrypting your device's storage, you can only disable encryption by resetting your phone to its factory default settings. This will erase all the data stored on your phone and you will need to set it up from scratch.
Note: Encryption may take an hour or longer depending on how much data you have on your device. Plug you phone in before you start the encryption process. If your battery dies during the encryption process you could loose some or all of your data.
- Create a lock screen PIN (or password) before you begin to encrypt you phone
- Open your device's Settings screen
- Tap Security
- tap Screen Lock
- tap PIN or Password
- Enter a Pin or password
- Encrypt your Phone (or tablet)
- Open the Settings screen
- Select Security
- Select Encryption
- Select Encrypt phone (or Encrypt tablet)
- Read the Encryption warning screen. You will be prompted to plug your phone in.
- Select Encrypt phone
- You will be prompted to provide the lock-screen PIN or password to continue
- You will see a progress indicator. This process can take a hour or longer
- Once the process begins, leave you phone alone. Do not attempt to use it.