SCEP for Windows Overview
- Managed client has predefined settings and only allows some settings to be defined by the user. If the setting is greyed out, then this means the setting cannot be changed by the user.
- Non-Managed client allows you to make changes to all of the settings.
System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection has four main tabs. These tabs are:
Main Menu Options
- Choose between Quick, Full or Custom scans. Click Scan now to begin your scan.
- Quick scan checks the areas of your computer that malicious software (including viruses, spyware, and unwanted software) are most likely to affect.
- Full scan checks all files on your hard drive and checks all running programs. This scan can take more than an hour to run, depending on the size of your hard drive and how full it is.
- Custom scan checks only the locations and files that you select.
- Indicates if Real-time protection is on or off
- Indicates if the Virus and spyware definitions are up to date
Back to Top
- SCEP will automatically update virus and spyware definitions, however you can manually update the definitions by clicking the Update button
- Displays the Date and Time when the definitions were created and updated
- Displays the version number for the virus definition and spyware definition
Back to Top
- This is where you can view the items that SCEP detected as potentially harmful and the actions that were taken
- Quarantined Items that were deemed as malicious software, virus, or spyware. These items were prevented from running, but have not been removed for your computer.
- Allowed Items are items that you have indicated are acceptable and they have been run on your computer
- All detected items will show both the Quarantined items and the Allowed items
- Details for the selected items will be displayed in the dialogue box
- Choose to Remove all, Remove (a single item) or Restore items
Back to Top
- Settings - Scheduled scan
- Scheduled Scan sets the time when a scan should run on your computer
- Scan Type: choose between Quick, Full or Custom
- When: choose the day the scan will run
- Around: choose the time the scan will run
- Daily quick scan time around: set a time to run a quick scan
- Check for the latest virus and spyware definitions before running a scheduled scan: ensures that you are using the most up-to-date virus/spyware definitions
- Start the scheduled scan only when my PC is on but not in use: prevents the scan from running when your computer is on, but only while in hibernation or sleep mode
- Limit CPU usage during scan to (select percentage): sets the limit for how much of the CPU can be used to run the scan
Settings - Default actions
- Determine what action SCEP will take when a potential or known threat is found. This will be based on the threat level: Severe, High, Medium, and Low. Choose between Remove, Quarantine, or Allow
Settings - Real-time protection
- When turned on, this setting allows SCEP to run and protect the computer while it is in use. Choose to scan downloads, monitor file and program activity, enable behaviour monitoring and enable Network Inspection System
- Settings - Excluded files and locations
- Choose certain file types and locations where files are stored to be excluded from scans
- Settings - Excluded file types
- Exclude all files from a certain file type from scans
Settings - Excluded processes
- Exclude specific processes that run on your computer from a scan.
- This can make your scan faster, but it could make your computer more vulnerable
Settings - Advanced
- Scan archive files - allows archive files to be included during the scan
- Scan removable drives - allows USB or external hard drives to be scanned
- Create a System Restore point - will create a restore point that can be used by SCEP, in case issues arise from the deletion or removal of items from the system
- Allow all users to view the full History Results is used when multiple users with accounts use the computer. This setting would allow them to see the History results for the computer. (This setting is not recommended.)
Settings - MAPS (Microsoft Active Protection Service)
- Control what information is sent to Microsoft about the current potentially unwanted software, malware, and viruses. The recommend setting is Basic membership.
Back to Top