Departmental Web Space (Web Hosting)
Web space can be provided upon request.
- Departments, faculties, schools, centres [cross departmental or university research groups], recognized student groups (with sponsorship) are eligible for web space provided by ITServices.
- To request web space, please contact the Support Centre at 613.533.6666.
- Please read the Unix Web Servers Policy before requesting web space.
Details regarding the main servers:
- Web/disk space is limited to 250mb.
- To request additional disk space please submit this form. Please visit the " Storage Fees (With Backup) " section of the "Service Fees" page for pricing information.
- The servers are UNIX based
- Materials on the servers have support in regards to backup/recovery
- Access reports and presentation of information can be seen by appending "/stats/" to your URL (example: http://www.queensu.ca/stats/)
- PHP, CGI-BIN, and Perl are enabled by default
- One instance of a relational database system (MySQL) is available upon request
Gaining space on ITServices servers will give the web space owner a place to upload and manage their web presence, however this usually requires basic web development skills as a minimum. If additional requirements or security is needed which is not supported by the default Unix web servers, please note that ITServices also has Unix shared application servers and Microsoft Windows shared application servers.
An alternative for those with little or no previous web development skills:
- WebPublish is a tool which can be used by Queen’s University Departments to create and edit pages on the Internet. Any department within Queen's University is entitled to a WebPublish account. For smaller sites or sites without special requirements it is possible to use the Queen's Web Content Management System (WebPublish). For further details please review the WebPublish page.
*PDF files can be read for free using Adobe Acrobat Reader