Queen's Music is located in Harrison-LeCaine Hall, situated in the heart of the Queen's University campus.
The building, which was officially opened in 1974, is named after the eminent British musicologist Frank Harrison, the first resident musician at Queen's from 1935-46, and the scientist/composer Hugh Le Caine, a major figure in the development of electronic music in Canada.
Designed specifically to house Music at Queen's, our facilities include classrooms, teaching studios, rehearsal halls, offices, electroacoustic studios, a computer laboratory, an electronic keyboard laboratory, an early music instrument room, and lounge areas. Practice studios are located in the lower level of Harrison-LeCaine Hall as well as in two other buildings on campus, Watson Hall and the Chown Hall residence. All practice studios are furnished with an upright piano, and are available to Bachelor of Music students as well as to other students registered taking applied lessons or participating in ensembles.
The Electroacoustic Music Studios comprise four separate studios, each dedicated to different aspects of composition, and each equipped with state-of-the-art electronic and computer equipment. Read more about the Electroacoustic Music Studios.
Our performing venues include the spacious and majestic Grant Hall, located centrally on the University campus, where ensemble concerts are held, Dunning Auditorium, a more intimate setting, and various appropriate rooms within Harrison-LeCaine Hall. End-of-year student recitals are often held in the elegant McLaughlin room upstairs in the John Deutsch University Centre. The Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts, opened in fall 2014, provides state of the art concert and rehearsal facilities for Music students and faculty. We have a full range of top-flight Yamaha grand pianos, as well as several fine grand pianos made by Steinway & Sons. More information about some of the available venues.
Harrison-LeCaine Hall is also home to a substantial and impressive collection of early music instruments, on which students are given opportunities to perform. This stunning collection ranges from recorders, cornetti, crumhorns and shawms to sackbuts, viols and harpsichords, including a harpsichord built by Wolfgang Kater, after an antique Flemish instrument by Blanchet in the Russell Collection as well as a lute, hand crafted by Oskar Graf, after an original 7-course Giovanni Hieber model of 1561. Read more about the Early Music Instruments Room.
The Music Library can be found in the Douglas Library, and includes books, scores, periodicals, microforms, and audio and video recordings. The library is well-equipped with audio-visual facilities and rooms. More information.