Course Number: 332*/3.0 3L (Course Code Explanation)
Open To: B.Mus. and B.Mus./B.Ed. students, non-B.Mus. students
Area(s): Music Education
Instructor(s): Dr. Roberta Lamb
Day(s) and Time(s): T: 8.30-10.00, F: 10.00-11.30
An introduction to the methods, materials, and curriculum design suitable for teaching music to pupils in grades 5 through 8.
Prerequisite(s) / Corequisite(s) / Exclusion(s)
- PREREQUISITES MUSC 273/3.0 and MUSC 274/3.0.
This is a skills-based course focusing on both musical skills and teaching skills.
Course Goals for Each Student
- Play a minimum of 5 chords on the ukulele; competently lead songs; teach basic ukulele skills.
- Play a minimum of an octave on each of the soprano and alto recorders, and play competently in the keys of C, F, G, D; teach basic recorder skills.
- Assess and evaluate classroom materials for teaching ukulele and recorders to grades 5-8.
- Demonstrate competency in organising instruction and materials for using these instruments with grades 5-8.
- Become familiar with educational research about early adolescent learners.
- Ukulele in the Classroom, Book 1 (D6) Teacher's Edition James Hill & Chalmers Doane
- Windsongs Book 5 A la claire fontaine Joe Berarducci
- Windsongs Book 6 Alto Odyssey Joe Berarducci
- Journal articles about early adolescent learners will be available through the library and on-line.
- Empire Music E765M Soprano ukulele (deluxe machine heads, low A tuning)
- Yamaha YRA302B Alto recorder, Rottenburgh, Baroque fingering
- Yamaha YRS302B Soprano recorder, Rottenburgh, Baroque fingering
- Ukulele in the Classroom, Book 1 (D6) CD James Hill & Chalmers Doan
- Windsongs, Teachers Guide for Books 1, 2, 3, & 4 Joe Berarducci
- Windsongs CD, accompanies Teachers Guide for Books 1, 2, 3, & 4 Joe Berarducci
All books and instruments have been ordered through the Campus Bookstore. It is not acceptable to substitute “toys” for quality instruments.
- In-class participation / assignments = 20%
- Ukulele Skills = 15
- Recorder Skills = 15
- Micro-Teaching = 25
- Lesson Plans = 25