High school teachers honoured
Five outstanding secondary school teachers from across Canada were presented with the Baillie Award for Excellence in Secondary School Teaching at Queen’s University’s recent spring convocation ceremonies.
The award was established by Chancellor Charles Baillie and enables students graduating from Queen’s to honour educators who made a positive influence on them during their high school careers, setting them on the course that brought them to Queen’s.
This year’s winners are:
- Gerald Fussell (Ecole Mark R. Isfeld Secondary School, Courtenay, B.C.), nominated by Kelly Anne Murdock, BA Political Studies ’09
- Andrew Gekas (St. Thomas of Villanova College, King City, Ontario), nominated by Jason Bornstein, B. Eng (Chemistry) ’09
- Lisa Dorren (CBe Learn Calgary, Calgary, Alberta), nominated by Sean Wang, B. Comm (Hon), BA Economics ’09
- Shabebina Samji (Langstaff Secondary School, Richmond Hill, Ontario), nominated by Gary Tsun Yin Ko, Life Sciences ’09
- Michael Gentile (St. Joseph Secondary School, Mississauga, Ontario), nominated by Kevin Fernandes, BAH Political Studies ’09