Queen's launches fundraising campaign
Queen’s University is celebrating the launch of its Initiative Campaign. The Initiative Campaign is about investing in the people of Queen’s who – like the generations before them
– will not waver in their pursuit of excellence. It’s about unleashing the potential of our thinkers and doers. It’s about raising our reputation nationally and internationally by focusing on what we do best. The campaign’s financial goal is to raise half a billion dollars with an additional $100 million in planned estate gifts by 2016.
“The university is at a critical juncture in its 171-year history, created in part by external factors such as technological advances and globalization of education and knowledge,” says Principal Daniel Woolf, Artsci’80. “The Initiative Campaign will enable us to seize the opportunities created by these developments, and help maintain Queen’s place as a leading institution of higher learning in Canada.”
Queen’s will reveal the Initiative Campaign goals and priorities during the marquee launch event on September 29 at 5:30 pm. The event is an opportunity for alumni and friends of Queen’s to gather and celebrate the initiative of faculty, students and alumni who are making a difference in their chosen field of study or work.
CNN’s Chief Business Correspondent and alumnus Ali Velshi, Artsci’94, will MC the event at Grant Hall, University Avenue, Queen’s campus. Principal Daniel Woolf and Gordon Nixon, Com’79, LLD’03, President and CEO of RBC and Initiative Campaign Chair, will host the event, and several Initiative Campaign celebrities will be joining them.
Other festivities during the day include:
• Ali Velshi talks with students at the Common Ground in the Queen’s Centre at 11 am.
• The unveiling of the new benefactor wall in Stauffer Library at 12:30 pm.
• The Queen’s Gaels football game against the Ottawa Gee-Gees. Kick off is at 1 pm.
• The grand opening of Nixon Field, the revitalized rugby pitch in the heart of campus at 3 pm. The project was made possible in part by the generous donation of Gordon Nixon and his wife Janet Nixon, Com’80.
The marquee event will be streamed live at http://streaming.queensu.ca/vmp/html/queenslive.html
Queen’s is hosting regional launches of the Initiative Campaign for alumni and friends in Calgary on October 3, Toronto on October 10, and Ottawa on October 18.