Renovation of Stuart Street parking garage to begin next week
Major repairs and upgrades to the 570-space Stuart Street underground parking garage to help ensure its safety and long-term use will start on November 1. The garage will stay open during the 18 to 24-month project, although there will be fewer spots available.
“This is a much-needed upgrade to a busy and important parking lot and we are pleased to move forward with this project,” says Associate Vice-Principal (Facilities) Ann Browne. “We are confident the work will proceed smoothly and with limited impact on garage users.”
To maximize the number of spaces for hospital patients, families and visitors, who are the primary users of the garage, the work will be completed in phases and the university is moving the 85 Queen’s/Kingston General Hospital (KGH) permit holders to other lots during peak weekday hours. Hospital volunteers will also park elsewhere.
Even with these relocations, there could be up to 50 fewer spots for the public, but turnover in those spaces is expected to increase. Whenever the lot is full, Queen’s parking staff will continue to attend at the garage entrance to direct drivers to alternate parking options and to provide advice.
Alternate parking is available at:
• Queen’s Centre Underground—$1.25/half hour (pay on exit, credit card only)
• Tindall Field Surface Lot (top row only)—$1.25/half hour
• Miller Parking Lot (by Campus Bookstore)—$1.25/half hour
• City of Kingston Waterfront Lot (south of King Street)—$1/hour, with three-hour limit
• City of Kingston Frontenac County Court House—$1/hour
• Richardson Stadium—$1/hour, daily max of $4 with shuttle bus service to campus and KGH
• Pay and Display street parking is available on King Street West and along Stuart Street.
Staff, faculty and students with questions can contact Donna Stover, Queen’s parking manager, at (613) 533-6000 ext. 36979.