Flags lowered in memory of Professor Emeritus Anhalt
Flags on campus will remain lowered in memory of Professor Emeritus Istvan Anhalt, a long-time member of the Department of Music.
Professor Anhalt moved to Kingston in 1971 and served as head of the Department of Music until 1981. He retired from Queen’s in 1984, but continued composing music for many prolific years. His musical legacy includes four operas, works for orchestra, chamber ensembles, choir, solo voice and piano. His legacy to his students, colleagues, and Canadian music reaches even farther.
Born in Budapest, Hungary, in 1919, Professor Anhalt studied with composer and educator Zoltan Kodaly. His education was cut short by the Second World War, and he became part of a forced-labour unit in the Hungarian army. After escaping and spending the rest of the war sheltered by friends in Budapest, he migrated to Paris where he resumed his studies in composition with the renowned teacher Nadia Boulanger. In 1949, he was the recipient of a Lady Davis Fellowship, designed to bring stateless intellectuals to Canada. He came to Montreal where he joined the Faculty of Music at McGill University.
Queen’s conferred an honorary degree on Professor Anhalt in 1991. In 2003 he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. Professor Anhalt won a Juno Award in 2005 for Best Canadian Classical Composition of the Year for his work "The Tents of Abraham."
A private family service will be held in Kingston, and a celebration of his life and music will be announced at a later date.