Congratulations on your successful proposal!
Each newly awarded research proposal requires a new research project before you can begin spending. Details on and to your colleagues at other institutions (if applicable), can be found below.
How to open a new research project
- New research projects are requested through the Office of Research Services (ORS) who forwards your Notice of Award and approved Data Summary and Signature (DSS) form to Financial Services.
- Provide ORS Research Facilitator with a copy of your Notice of Award. They will update your DSS to include the change in funding status, actual award details such as grant period and amounts and ensure that certification requirements have been met. The Facilitator also will obtain the signature of the Associate Director of Research Services.
- Notify the Research Facilitator when certifications have been received. Note that documentation cannot be sent to Financial Services if there are any pending certification requirements, for example, animal care, ethics, and/or biohazards or dangerous goods.
- You will know that Financial Services has opened your new research project when you receive a Signing Authorization Card requesting you to sign it and return it to them. Your new project number will be indicated on this card. Financial Services will also provide you with the appropriate fund number and department code, which you will require in order to submit expenditures against your research project.
How to transfer funds to a co-investigator at another institution
- The transfer of funds from one institution to another is coordinated through ORS.
- Provide the ORS Research Facilitator with the following information:
- Names of the co-investigator and Director of the other institution's research office
- Full mailing address of the institution's research office
- Title of award from which money will be transferred
- Amount and budget of the funds to be transferred, including period for which funds are to be used (maximum one year)
- One fully completed cheque requisition
- ORS will confirm there is available budget with Financial Services, prior to preparing a Transfer of Funds letter.
- The ORS Research Facilitator will prepare a Transfer of Funds letter and request your signature prior to forwarding it electronically to the other institution to be counter-signed.
- When ORS receives the fully executed Transfer of Funds letter, the Facilitator will send your cheque requisition and the fully signed letter to Financial Services.
- Financial Services will process and forward the cheque to the co-investigator's research office.