Proposals: development to spending
The following is a summary of the different stages of developing a research proposal for, to be awarded funding, and, finally, to spending your funds. Click here if you would like a visual representation of the proposal process.
Developing the research plan
- Does the proposal (and the manner in which the work will be done) meet Queen's Senate Guidelines on Research Integrity?
- Do the faculty members understand their rights and obligations for research-time allotments, disclosure of intellectual property, and Queen's options to apply for licenses to new IP under the Queen's University Faculty Agreement?
- Are there additional policies that a prospective funding agency will impose on the conduct of research or the treatment of intellectual property. A good place to start is the Tri-Council Policy documents.
- Does the proposed research meet the criteria of the funding agency?
Once the research idea is developed and the applicant is satisfied that basic policy standards are met, it should be determined what kinds of funding will support the research program.
- If the research support comes from a large funding agency (e.g. NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC) you will need to develop and submit a research proposal according to Queen's and agency guidelines.
- If the research support comes in part or in whole from an external institution, then grand acknowledgement or a research agreement will be negotiated in partnership with ORS Contracts Unit.
- If the funding support is in the form of a grant (no special rights, options or other special conditions acquired by the funding sponsor), then a letter of award and an attached grant acknowledgment should be produced in co-operation with ORS Grants and Development Unit.
- A non-disclosure agreement (NDA) may be requested by an external funding partner. These should be sent to ORS Contracts Unit for review before they are signed. A sample/template NDA is available from ORS for reference.
- If the funding support is in the form of a contractual agreement, then ORS Contracts Unit needs to be engaged in negotiating an agreement in accordance with university and - if applicable - third-party requirements. A sample Contract Research Agreement is posted on the ORS Contracts site. The ORS Director is authorized to sign a contractual research agreement on Queen's behalf.
- In the case of a clinical trial, a special Clinical Trials Research Agreement Template is used and the project will be registered with the ICMJE.
- Other agreements may also be required, including project participant agreements, materials transfer agreements, etc. Consult the ORS Contracts Unit for guidance.
- Any agreement containing cash support will need to address indirect costs born by the University. Please refer to the policy on indirect costs.
Ask at least two colleagues to read your proposal and provide feedback. It is best to ask people within your discipline and outside of your discipline. Be sure to provide your reviewers with the funding criteria and objectives of the funding program.
In parallel with applying for funding, the required certifications should be determined. All certifications must be obtained before research can commence.
- If there are human subjects then all students involved in the research must complete the CORE online course. The principal investigator must also obtain the appropriate ethics board reviews before commencing research.
- HSREB for health research involving humans
- GREB for other research involving humans
2. If there are animal subjects, the animal care process
must be initiated with the Office of the University Veterinarian.
3. If there are specific environmental, biohazard, controlled goods or radiation hazards associated with the research, then the appropriate certifications
must be obtained before research commences.
If funding is awarded (via contractual agreement, research grant, transfer of funds from another PI, or through a funding agency competition), then an ORS Research Facilitator will review the project file to determine that the required signatures, certifications, agreements and a Data Summary & Signature have been completed and approved. The completed file is forwarded to Research Accounting to open a project account.
Once the research account is established, reporting by the PI and Research Accounting are required. The terms of the financial and project reporting will be outlined in the notice of award and/or the agreement.