MSc Program Director; Professor
Department of Public Health Sciences
Hélène Ouellette-Kuntz (PhD) is an epidemiologist and Associate Professor in the Departments of Public Health Sciences and Psychiatry (Division of Developmental Disabilities) at Queen's University. She teaches a 3rd year undergraduate course on the principles of epidemiology, supervises undergraduate and graduate students doing projects in the field of intellectual disabilities, and is the Director of the Masters of Science progam in Epidemiology. Dr. Ouellette-Kuntz’s research involves working with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, family members, service providers, and policy makers, and has included analysis of administrative datasets in British Columbia, Manitoba and Ontario. She is the Director of two research programs: The National Epidemiologic Database for the Study of Autism in Canada (www.nedsac.ca) and the Multidimensional Assessment of Providers and Systems (www.mapsresearch.ca) and a project lead within the Health Care Access Research and Developmental Disabilities research program (www.hcardd.ca). Since 2008, she has served as Secretary to the International Association for the Scientific Study of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
EPID 301 Principles of Epidemiology
Book chapters since 2010
5. Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Cobigo, V., Lunsky, Y., Balogh, R., Wilton, A. & Lunsky, Y. (in press). Chapter 4 - Secondary Prevention in Primary Care. In: Lunsky Y, Klein-Geltink JE, Yates EA, eds. Atlas on the Primary Care of Adults with Developmental Disabilities in Ontario. Toronto, ON: Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences.
Peer-reviewed articles since 2010 (underline denotes trainees)
75. Stortz, J., Lake, J.K., Cobigo, V., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., & Lunsky, Y. (in press). Lessons learned from our elders: How to study polypharmacy in populations with IDD. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
74. Lunsky, Y., Robinson, S., Tint, A.,Vickar, M., Ouellette-Kuntz, H. (in press). System-wide information about family caregivers of adults with intellectual/ developmental disabilities – a scoping review of the literature. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities.
73. Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Lunsky, Y., Lysaght, R., Martin, L. & Saaltink, R. (in press). Partnering for research: lessons for participant recruitment. Journal on Developmental Disabilities.
72. Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Coo, H., Lam, M., Breitenbach, M., Hennessey, P.E., Jackman, P.D., Lewis, S., Dewey, D., Bernier, F.P. & Chung, A.M. (2013). The changing prevalence of autism in three regions of Canada. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. [DOI 10.1007/s10903-013-1856-1]
71. Balogh, R., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Brownell, M. & Colantonio, A. (2013).Factors associated with hospitalizations for ambulatory care sensitive conditions among persons with an intellectual disability-a publicly insured population perspective. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 57 (3), 226-239.
70. Cobigo, V., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Balogh, R., Leung, F., Lin, E., & Lunsky, Y. (2013). Are cervical and breast cancer screening programs equitable? The case of women with developmental disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 57(5), 48-488.
69. Lin, E., Balogh, R., Cobigo, V., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Wilton, D., Lunsky, Y. (2013). Using health administrative data to identify individuals with developmental disabilities: A comparison of algorithms. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 57(5), 462-477.
68. Martin, L., Ashworth, M., & Ouellette-Kuntz, H. (2012). Planning practices in Ontario’s developmental services agencies Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 18 (3), 68-72.
67. Morin, D., Merineau-Cote, J., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Tasse, M., Kerr, M. (2012). A comparison of the prevalence of chronic disease among persons with and without intellectual disability. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 117(6), 455-463.
66. Bielska, I., Ouellette-Kuntz, H. & Hunter, D. (2012). Using National Surveys for Mental Health Surveillance among Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities in Canada. Chronic Diseases and Injuries in Canada, 32(4) : 194-199.
65. Brown, H. K., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Hunter, D., Kelley, E., & Cobigo, V. (2012). Unmet needs of families of school-aged children with an autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 25: 497-508.
64. Minnes, P., Hutchinson, N., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Villeneuve, M., Chatenoud, C., Dionne, C., Frankel, E., Isaacs, B., Loh, A., Perry, A., Weiss, J., & Versnel, J. (2012). Including children with developmental disabilities. International Innovation: Healthcare (Research Media, UK), 16, 72-7.
63. Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Burge, P., Cleaver, S., Isaacs, B., Lunsky, Y., Jones, J. & Hastie, R. (2012). Attitudes of medical clerks toward persons with intellectual disabilities. Canadian Family Physician, 58: e282-e288.
62. Cobigo, V., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Lysaght, R. & Martin, L. (2012). Shifting our conceptualization of social inclusion. Stigma Research and Action, 2(2), 75-84.
61. Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Coo, H., Yu, C.T., Lewis, S., Dewey, D., Hennessey, P., Jackman, P., Breitenbach, M., Holden, J.J. A. (2012). Status Report - National Epidemiologic Database for the Study of Autism in Canada (NEDSAC). Chronic Diseases and Injuries in Canada, 32(2), 84-89.
60. Coo, H., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Lam, M., Yu, C.T., Dewey, D., Bernier, R., Chudley, A., Hennessey, P., Breitenbach, M., Noonan, A., Lewis, S., Holden, J.J.A. (2012). Correlates of age at diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders in six Canadian regions. Chronic Diseases and Injuries in Canada, 32(2), 90-100.
59. Lysaght, R., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Cheng-Jung, L. (2012). Untapped potential: Perspectives on the employment of people with intellectual disabilities. Work, 41(4), 409-422.
58. Cobigo, V., Murphy, M., Bielska, I. & Ouellette-Kuntz, H. (2012). Applying Hills criteria to the study of Autism Spectrum Disorders and exposure to heavy metals. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 18(1): 15-28.
57. Lysaght, R., Sparring, C., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Marshall, C.A. (2011).Injury Incidence and Patterns in Workers with Intellectual Disabilities: A Comparative Study. Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability, 36(4): 284-288.
56. Brown, H.K., Ouellette-Kuntz, H, Lysaght, R. & Burge, P. (2011). Students’ behavioural intentions towards peers with disability. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 24, 322-332.
55. Brown, H. K., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Hunter, D., Kelley, E., Cobigo, V., & Lam, M. (2011). Beyond an autism diagnosis: Children’s functional independence and parents’ unmet needs. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 41(10): 1291-1302.
54. Balogh, R., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Brownell, M. & Colantonio, A. (2011). Ambulatory care sensitive conditions in persons with an intellectual disability – Development of a Consensus. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 24, 150-158.
53. Cahill, N.E., Suurdt, J., Ouellette-Kuntz, H. & Heyland, D.K. (2010). Understanding Adherence to Guidelines in the Intensive Care Unit: Development of a Comprehensive Framework. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, 34(6): 616-624.
52. Ouellette-Kuntz, H. (2010). Invited Commentary: Response to Emerson and Einfeld’s Emotional and behavioural difficulties in young children with and without developmental delay: a bi-national perspective. Evidence-based Mental Health, 13, 107.
51. Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Brown, H., Baur, L., Davis, R., Emerson, E., Kerr, M., Meijer, M., O’Hara, D., Proulx, R., Perry, J., Small, J., Van Schrojenstein Lantman de Valk, H. (2010). Using a knowledge translation lens to develop international collaborations to improve the health of individuals with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disability, 7, 278-282.
50. Balogh, R., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Brownell, B. & Colantonio, A. (2010). Hospitalization rates for ambulatory care sensitive conditions for persons with and without an intellectual disability-a population perspective. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 54, 820-832.
49. Brown, H.K., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Hunter, D. & Kelley, E. (2010). Assessing Need in School Aged Children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 4(4), 539-547.
48. Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Shooshtari, S., Temple, B., Brownell, M., Burchill, C., Holden, J.J.A. & Hennen, B. (2010). Estimating Administrative Prevalence of Intellectual Disabilities in Manitoba. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 15(3), 69-79.
47. Cleaver, S., Ouellette-Kuntz, H. & Sarkar, A. (2010). Participation in Intellectual Disability Research – A Review of 20 years of Studies. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 54(3), 187-193.
46. Ouellette-Kuntz, H., Burge, P., Brown, H., & Arsenault, E. (2010). Public Attitudes toward Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities as Measured by the Concept of Social Distance. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 23, 132-142.