Dr. Will Pickett
Dr. Pickett is a PhD epidemiologist trained at Queen’s and the University of Toronto. He and his colleagues lead an active research program, with focus on the health of children, rural health, injury and violence prevention, and applied emergency medicine research. He is Deputy principal investigator of the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children Study in Canada. He is a lead investigator on the CIHR Team in Child and Youth Injury. He also is the principal investigator of several CIHR operating grants that involve study of adolescent health and its determinants, farm injuries, and injuries to children.
If you are a PhD applicant that is interested in working with Will Pickett click here.
- Intermediate Epidemiology (EPID 804)
- Evans C, Brison RJ, Howes D, Stiell IG, Pickett W. Prehospital advanced airway management for adult trauma patients with a Glasgow Coma Score of ≤8. J Emerg MedIn press(senior author).
- Hagel L, Dosman J, Pahwa P, Pickett W for the Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort Study Team. Economic worry and the presence of safety hazards on the farm. Acc Anal PrevIn press(senior author).
- Davison C, Thompson W, Torunian M, Walsh P, McFaull S, Pickett W. Helmet use by youth operating off-road vehicles in Canada: 2010 findings from the Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children Survey. J Rural HealthIn press (senior author).
- Pickett W, Molcho M, Elgar F, Brooks F, de Looze M, Rathmann K, ter Bogt T, Nic Gabhainn S, Sigmundova D, Gaspar de Matos M, Craig W, Walsh S, Harel-Fisch Y, Currie C. Trends and socio-economic correlates of adolescent physical fighting in 30 countries. PediatricsIn press (primary author).
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake C, Willson PJ, Hagel L, Rennie DC, Lawson JA, Pickett W, Dosman JA. Prevalence of chronic bronchitis in farming and non-farming rural residents in Saskatchewan. J Occup Environ Med In press (contributing author)
- Dosman JA, Hagel L, Skromo R, Sun X, Day AG, Pickett W, for the Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort Study. Primary snoring is a risk factor for occupational injury. Can Respiratory J In press(senior author).
- Gropp K, Pickett W, Janssen I. Correlates of active transportation to school among Canadian youth. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act.2012, 9:124. DOI: 10.1186/1479-5868-9-124 (contributing author).
- Heroux M, Iannotti R, Pickett W, Currie D, Janssen I. The food retail environment in school neighbourhoods and its relation to lunchtime eating behaviour in youth from 4 countries. Health and Place2012; 18: 1240-1247 DOI information: 10.1016/j.healthplace.2012.09.004 (contributing author).
- Barry R, Pickett W, Rennie DC, Senthilselvan A, Cockcroft DW, Lawson JA. Factors contributing to pediatrics risks for asthma in rural Saskatchewan Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2012 Oct;109(4):255-9. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2012.07.020. Epub 2012 Aug 14.
- Voaklander DC, Day L, Hagel L, Dosman J, Pickett Wfor the Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort Study Team. Older farmers and machinery exposure – cause for concern? Am J Ind Med.2012 Sepdoi: 10.1002/ajim.22111. [Epub ahead of print](contributing author)
- Pickett W, Hagel L, Dosman J. Exposure to agricultural hazards on Saskatchewan farms. J Agromed.2012; 17:421-4. DOI: 10.1080/1059924X.2012.713836(primary author).
- Sagar S, Brown P, Pickett W, Tranmer J. Classification of walking performance in patients with peripheral arterial disease through the determination of clinically valid cut-off points on the Walking Impairment Questionnaire. Int J Vasc Med 2012; doi:10.1155/2012/190641. (contributing author).
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Hagel L, Janzen B, Pickett W, Rennie D, Senthilselvan A, Lawson J, Kirychuk S, Dosman JA. The Saskatchewan Rural Health Study: An Application of a Population Health Framework to Understand Respiratory Health Outcomes. BMC Res Notes. 2012 Aug 1;5(1):400. [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1186/1756-0500-5-400 (contributing author).
- Pickett W, Davison C, Torunian M, Walsh P, McFaull S, Thompson W. Drinking, substance use and the operation of motor vehicles in Canada: 2010 findings from the Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children Survey. PLoS ONE 2012; 7(8):e42807.doi:0042807 ( primary author).
- Seliske L, Pickett W, Rosu A, Janssen I. Identification of optimal geographic boundary size to use when measuring the food retail environment surrounding schools. Int. J. Environ. Res.Public Health 2012, 9(8), 2715-2727; doi:10.3390/ijerph9082715(contributing author).
- Seliske L, Pickett W, Bates R, Janssen I. Field validation of food retailer listings: a comparison of online and commercial databases. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health,2012, 9, 2601-2607; doi:10.3390/ijerph9082601 (contributing author).
- Seliske L, Pickett W, Janssen I. Relationship between urban sprawl and physical activity and obesity among Canadian youth. Health Reports2012; 23(2):17-25 (contributing author).
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake C, Hagel L, Janzen B, Rennie D, Lawson J, Pickett W, Dosman JA. Self-Selection Bias in Epidemiological Study of Respiratory Health of Rural Population. J Agromedicine. 2012 Jul;17(3):316-25.(contributing author).
- Elgar FJ, Pickett KE, Pickett W, Craig W, Molcho M, Hurrelmann K, Lenzi M. International differences in income inequality, crime and school bullying: pooled time series analysis (1994-2006). Int J Public Health. 2012 Jun 20. [Epub ahead of print] (contributing author).
- Gropp K, Janssen I, Pickett W. Active Transportation to School in 20,076 Canadian Youth: Should Injury be a Concern? Inj Prev. 2012 May 24. [Epub ahead of print](senior author).
- Koch Hall A, PickettW, Dagnone D The development and evaluation of a simulation-based assessment tool with resuscitation scenarios for emergency medicine residents. Can J Emerg Med 2012 May 1;14(3):139-46. contributing author).
- Marlenga B, Lee BC, Pickett W. Guidelines for Children’s Work in Agriculture: Implications for the Future J Agromed 2012; 17(2):140-8.(contributing author).
- Schwebel D, Pickett W. The role of child and adolescent development in the occurrence of tractor injuries. J Agromed 2012; 17(2):214–224 (contributing author).
- Lilley R, Day L, Koehncke N, Dosman J, Hagel L, Pickett W, for the Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort Study. The relationship between fatigue-related factors and work-related injuries in the Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort Study. Am J Indust Med2012;55:367–375 (senior author)
- Marlenga B, Berg RL, Pickett W for the Hearing Study Team. Determinants of early stage hearing loss among a cohort of young workers with 16-year follow-up. Occup Environ Med,2012 doi:10.1136/oemed-2011-100464. (contributing author).