Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Incoming Graduate Student Information

Welcome to the Department of Political Studies, and congratulations on your acceptance! The purpose of this page is to provide incoming graduate students with some of the information that they will need to make a smooth transition to life in Kingston and their studies at Queen’s.

Housing in Kingston

There are several online services that are helpful when you are looking for housing in Kingston.  

Queen's Community Housing has information on Queen's owned building complex (An Clachan) and apartment building (John Orr Tower) that are geared to graduate students.

The Queen’s Town-Gown Relations website offers a very comprehensive list of resources including a useful map which should give you an idea of how far the places that you find are from campus.  Most of the graduate students in our department live in zones 2 or 3 on the map.  

The Kingston Whig-Standard’s classified ads are also a good source for listings.

Other options include the Society of Graduate and Professional Students Housing Listing Service, and the Alma Mater Society’s Marketplace site.  Both of these list requests for roommates as well.

In Ontario, tenants are required to give 60 days notice before they move out, so most September vacancies will not be advertised until the beginning of July.  The Queen’s International Centre has some useful information on what to keep in mind while you’re looking for a place to live in Kingston.  For information on your rights and obligations as a renter in Ontario, please visit the Landlord and Tenant Board's website.

The Student Affairs website includes a section on student safety and community living. Included is information, resources, and tips on how to keep safe while on and off campus. 


You will receive information on registration over the summer months from the School of Graduate Studies and the Registrar's Office.

There are two ways to pay tuition as a graduate student. See Registrar’s Office website for further information on both options (Cash and PPL - pre-authorized payment plan) and important dates. 

For those graduate students paying tuition by CASH, if you do not make payment by September 1st a late payment penalty will incur. However, if eligible, you may make Alternate Payment Arrangements (APA). This form must be submitted mid-July to mid-August. For those students paying tuition through PPL the first tuition payment will be deducted from your fees account in October. For exact dates, on either option, please see the Registrar's Office website.

Back to top


Graduate students cannot register themselves in their courses through the student system (SOLUS). All course registration must go through the Graduate Assistant. Political Studies courses will then be entered into the system. Courses from other departments will need to be requested by an Academic Change form, which the Graduate Assistant will assist in preparing to take to the appropriate department for instructor signature. 


All graduate students in our department are represented by the Political Studies Graduate Student Association (PSGSA) at the department and university level, and by the Society of Graduate and Professional Students (SGPS) at the university and community level.
For more information on the activities of the PSGSA and who to contact about issues within its mandate, please browse the options on the left-side menu.  For more information about the SGPS, please visit its website.

Teaching Assistants and Teaching Fellows at Queen’s are now unionized. The Collective Agreement can be found on Human Resources website.

Orientation Week

The first week of September is Orientation Week.  The School of Graduate Studies (SGS), PSGSA, and the SGPS organize several welcome events for incoming students. The department holds a Teaching Assistant workshop and each incoming graduate student will meet briefly with the Graduate Chair to discuss course selection.

The department hosts a reception for all graduate students, new and incoming, and faculty in mid-September.

Contact information

All administrative questions about the department’s graduate program should be directed to the Department’s Graduate Assistant.

Back to top

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000