May 5, 2014
Highlights from the April 29 meeting of Senate
The Senate observed a moment of silence for former Senators who recently died:
- Dr. David Bacon (elected member, 1974-1976 and ex-officio, 1980-1985, 1986-1991)
- Dr. Norman J.P. Brown (1970-1973)
- Dr. Judith Durance (1990-1993)
In addition to his written report, Principal Daniel Woolf provided the following updates:
- The Richardson Foundation has pledged $5 million toward the revitalization of Richardson Stadium. Together with a$10-million pledge from Stu and Kim Lang, the university is more than halfway towards its goal of $25-million for the stadium. A feasibility study is under way at the stadium and the university will seek input from neighbours and the broader community as specific plans begin to develop.
- The province recently announced increased funding for facilities renewal, to a total of $100 million annually for all of Ontario’s colleges and universities, to be phased in beginning 2015-16.
- Richard Reznick, Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences, received an honorary fellowship from the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. He is only the second Canadian surgeon to receive this recognition.
Principal Woolf thanked student senators, former Rector Nick Francis and the outgoing executives of the AMS and SGPS for their contributions over the past year. The Principal Woolf acknowledged the long service of Senator Patrick Oosthuizen, a faculty member in the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Queen’s since 1968, and who is retiring after serving on Senate for 22 years, most recently as vice-chair.
The Provost provided a written report to Senate.
Committee Motions and Reports
Reports from Standing Committees
Senate received reports from the following standing committees:
Reports from faculties and schools
Senate received reports from the Graduate Studies Executive Council Report and the Queen’s School of Business Faculty Board Report to Senate.
Motions other than from standing committees
Senate approved the following motions:
- With the exception of the Honorary Degrees Committee and the Cyclical Program Review Committee, minutes of all Standing and Special Committees, and each of their respective Subcommittees, except portions which contain confidential or personal information, shall be published on the Governance Portal.
- That Section 22, subsection 4 of the Rules of Procedure of the Senate be amended to delete the phrase “at least 48 hours before the meeting” and to insert in its place the phrase “not less than five clear days prior to the day of the meeting, not including the day of distribution."
- That Senate task the SEEC with investigating the reasons for the apparent lack of recognition that research conducted by female faculty has been receiving at Queen’s and to make recommendations on how to improve the situation.