1) Registration and Payments:
All registration will take place online. Paper registrations will no longer be accepted.
A complete registration includes payment of all tuition and fees (or arrangement for payment plan), electronic acknowledgement of the Policy Agreement, Statement of Consent, and Photo Waiver. Where a student is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian is required to complete the electronic agreements on behalf of the student.
Informing an instructor or the office of intent to register or attend classes does not constitute registration. Students may begin lessons/classes only after registration is complete.
Instructors are committed to teaching students within the administrative framework of Queen's Conservatory of Music for the duration of the season that the student is registered in.
2) Payment Options:
Payments can be made online by debit, VISA, Master Card, or in person by cheque or money order (made payable to Queen’s Conservatory of Music).
Payment plans are available as follows, according to the length of instruction:
The first payment of any payment plan is required in full prior to commencement of instruction. Lesson extensions must also be paid in full at time of registration.
Registration fee (if applicable) is due with the first payment of any payment plan.
When paying by monthly or term installments, installments will be an equal division of the plan total, and are not representative of how many lessons are taken in any one month or term. Installments must be paid by credit card or post-dated cheques.
All monetary transactions must be made through the QCM office or the online payment system. Students may not give any payment to instructors.
3) NSF Payment: A $25 charge will be applied to a student account for each NSF cheque or declined credit card received by the QCM office. Instruction will be suspended until the account is brought up to date.
4) Overdue Accounts: Student accounts will accrue an interest charge of 2% monthly on accounts more than 30 days past due. In the case of an overdue or declined monthly payment, the student’s instructor will be given notice to cease instruction and disallow attendance immediately. Instruction missed by the student as a result of an overdue account cannot be made up under any circumstances.
Students with overdue accounts from a previous year will be denied re-registration until their account is brought up to date.
QCM reserves the right to request payment in full at the time of registration, from students who have repeatedly accrued overdue accounts (more than 2 instances in a previous QCM year).
5) Registration Fees: A registration fee is payable once annually per family*, and is valid September through August to coincide with our academic year. Registration Fees are non-refundable. However, for students enrolled in a group class only, if enrollment is not sufficient to form a class, the registration fee will be refunded.
*Family membership applies to a single household in which there is one financial contact person for spouses/partners and dependents taking classes through QCM.
6) Missed Private Lessons: Private lessons cancelled by the student will be made up when a minimum of 24 hours notice is received by the Conservatory office or Instructor, and the cancellation is due to illness or similar good cause. A maximum of 3 lesson cancellations (with proper notice) will be accepted per student per academic year. A make-up lesson cancelled by the student will not be rescheduled. Additional make-up lessons may be scheduled at the discretion of the instructor. Lessons that fall on a statutory holiday may be rescheduled at the discretion of the instructor. Any private lessons cancelled by the instructor will be made up.
Absences with less than 24 hours notice are considered unexcused and are not acceptable under any circumstances. They will not be made up and will not be refunded.
7) Missed Group Lessons: Missed group lessons will not be refunded unless the Conservatory cancels the class. Homework assignments may be made available to students and parents for missed group lessons at the discretion of the instructor.
8) Termination of Private Lessons: It is understood and agreed that written notice for 3 consecutive lessons or classes is required to withdraw from instruction. This termination policy can be actioned by a student, instructor or QCM. Written notice must be submitted to the Conservatory office by letter or email. The 3-lesson period commences upon receipt of the letter. Tuition is payable for the duration of the 3-lesson period whether lessons are taken or not. Informing an instructor of intent to withdraw, or not attending classes, does not constitute withdrawal from lessons.
9) Termination of Group Classes (excluding Yamaha): As per clause 8) Termination of Private Lessons, but no refund will be issued after the 6th group class has taken place.
10) Termination of Yamaha Group Classes: As per clause 8) Termination of Private Lessons, until 1st May, 2015. After 1st May, 2015 no refunds will be issued.
11) Refunds and Credits: All refunds must be requested in writing. It takes approximately 60 days for refunds to be processed. Failure to attend lessons or classes does not constitute cause for refund. Refunds are subject to a $20 administrative fee. Refunds will not be issued for 3 private lessons or fewer as per clause 8) Termination of Private Lessons.
In the event that a lesson plan cannot be fulfilled by the end of our academic year, a student's excused absence record will be considered when reconciling their account. A maximum of 3 excused absences can be applied as credit to re-registration for the next season, at the discretion of QCM.
12) Suspension of Students: Queen's Conservatory of Music reserves the right to suspend students for non-payment of tuition, non-compliance with QCM policy or inappropriate conduct (including unexcused absences).
13) Cancellation of Instruction: Queen's Conservatory of Music reserves the right to withdraw any course or level of instruction, or to change a group class instructor at any time without notice or liability, other than to refund tuition fees received for lessons cancelled due to such withdrawal.
In the event that a private instructor is replaced by QCM, students of the former instructor will have the option of either 1) continuing instruction according to their current lesson plan with the new instructor, or 2) receiving a tuition refund for the balance of outstanding lessons.
Weather related closing: QCM will follow the Limestone School Board for weather related closings. Instructors must notify QCM by email by 8:00 am if they intend to teach on a school snow day. In the event that the Limestone School Board closing does not coincide with Queen’s University, students living on campus who have lessons scheduled with faculty instructors must check with their instructor directly to see if they are teaching.
Any instruction cancelled by QCM will be made up. Whenever possible, such cancellation will be announced by QCM and posted on the web site as soon as possible.
14) Lesson Start Date: Queen's Conservatory of Music reserves the right to determine the start date for all lessons. Start dates may be postponed if enrollment is not yet sufficient to form a class.
15) Unattended Minors: Queen's Conservatory of Music does not assume any responsibility for the well-being and safety of minors who are left unattended on Conservatory premises.
16) Personal Property: Queen's Conservatory of Music does not assume any responsibility for personal property (including, but not limited to musical instruments, clothing, cameras, cell phones, vehicles etc.) lost, damaged or left unattended on the premises of Queen's University.
17) Musical Instruments: All students are required to provide their own musical instrument (except pianists), and are responsible for its care and maintenance (including insurance), unless otherwise specified by Queen's Conservatory of Music. If a student is not able to provide their own instrument, an instrument loan by Queen's School of Music may be considered at the instructor's discretion. Rental fee rates for students studying through the Conservatory are $45/1 month, $75/4 months, $125/8 months + HST. Students are responsible for insurance of rental instruments.
18) RCM Examinations: Queen's Conservatory of Music is not responsible for registering students for RCM Examinations.
19) Publicity: Queen's Conservatory of Music reserves the right to photograph, videotape and record all group instruction, private lessons and performances and use the pictures/sounds for marketing/publicity/educational purposes. Should you not wish that your/your child’s photo/image/sound clips be used in this way, please inform QCM of this on your Letter of Agreement. All publicity agreements are in effect from September 1, 2014 - August 31, 2015. Students/parents are not permitted to photograph or videotape group instruction or private lessons.