Research in the Natural Sciences
Conducting dissertation research in the sciences may involve completing work on an active lab project, setting up an experiment, or evaluating pre-existing data.
- Create a Budget
- You may want to write a grant to get funds for your study for things such as transcribing, computer software, and running statistical data.
- Determine possible expenses and calculate costs.
- Submit application for use of human subjects from HS-REB (Health Sciences Research Ethics Board).
- Establish an information database or filing system.
- Organize your files, contacts, observations, field notes, and bibliographic information.
- Consult resources from the bibliographic link in this Dissertation Calculator for tips.
- Proceed with data collection and input.
- Follow your checklist to make sure you cover each step such as running test groups, or doing interviews.
- Input data as you go along and keep up to date on notes.
- Identify and record trends, observations, discrepancies, limitations, and recommendations that you will report.