QLC Student Assistants 2015-2016
As a Queen's Learning Commons (QLC) Student Assistant, you will share your experience and enthusiasm for learning and research with other students and staff in the Learning Commons. You will provide orientation and consultation services during assigned shifts in the Learning Commons, and work as a member of a team that provides ideas for QLC services and programs.
QLC Student Assistants have a broad knowledge of all services and resources offered in the Learning Commons (Research Help, ITServices, Learning Strategies Development, the Writing Centre and the Adaptive Technology Centre).They have a good understanding of the computers and software available in the Learning Commons, and they know how to use and support the major resources in Stauffer Library.
- Offer assistance to users and provide a welcoming, informative and learning environment, at the Learning Commons information desks and throughout the QLC. This includes giving tours of the Learning Commons.
- Assist students with the use of computers, printers, scanners and software in the QLC.
- Assist students with Library orientation, navigating the Library’s website and using major electronic library resources and services. Refer them to the appropriate specialist for research support.
- Offer workshops in Excel and Power Point.
- Assist students with wireless access and other computer facilities. Refer them to self-service help on the IT Support Centre website and to the ITServices Help Desk as appropriate.
- Provide information about the Writing Centre, Learning Strategies Development and the Adaptive Technology Centre. Refer students to them as appropriate.
- Be familiar with campus resources, academic programs and services. Refer accordingly.
- Attend mandatory team meetings, participate in training (online and in person) and contribute ideas for the further development of QLC services and programs.
- Must be a Queen's student
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong commitment to service (customer service skills)
- Basic information and computer/technological skills
- Experience as a student using library resources and services
- Knowledge of Queen’s and Kingston Community
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- A completed job application (download the QLC Job Application form, which is available in Word format, and save your completed copy) and résumé:
- Send the completed form and your résumé to email@example.com (Patrick Patterson, Learning Commons Assistant) by 4:00 PM, Wednesday, March 18, 2015. Please note: Deadline has been extended.