Queen's University
Post-Doctoral Fellows

Queens Univ.
Home Page

This site best viewed with Mozilla Firefox


Click here to join the QPA Yahoo group
Click to join the
QPA Yahoo group

Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)
University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage known as OHIP.

If you are a newcomer to Ontario You will need UHIP for your first 3 months.

ALL POSTDOCS who are paid through Queen's Univ. Human Resources ARE ELIGIBLE FOR MOST EMPLOYEE BENEFITS http://www.hr.queensu.ca/benefits/benefits.php (but not dental... yet)

Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

To be eligible for OHIP coverage you must :
  • Be a Canadian citizen or have a work permit valid for longer than 6 months
  • Make your permanent and principal home in Ontario
  • Be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period

You can download a form to fill out in advance. To apply for OHIP you must go in person to the Ontario Ministry of Health Office at:

1055 Princess Street,
Suite 401
K7L 5A9

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

"Mandatory Health Coverage for International Students, International Employees, Postdoctoral Fellows, Visiting Scholars and Staff, and their Dependants"

To apply for UHIP please contact the Queen's University International Centre:

Tel: (613) 533-2604;
Fax: (613) 533-3159;
E-mail: UHIP Assistant

Office hours:
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
The office is closed on Labour Day (first Monday in September), during the Winter Break and on other Canadian statutory holidays.

Web Pages Created by bcoe, wturner & cmeehan