What is Time & Labour?
The PeopleSoft Time and Labour module is one of four major components of the Human Resources PeopleSoft system. It is used to process compensable time and leave data for staff.
The implementation of this module provides Queen's University with the opportunity to establish a campus-wide system and supporting processes to accurately report and track time, leave and benefits, support the application of Queen's policy, and meet its legal requirements as an employer.
The use of one common system will simplify and provide consistency for human resources processes used by departments and units at Queen's, which currently operate independently and use varying administrative methods. The module will also help ensure ongoing compliance by providing a consistent time reporting schedule and guidelines that meet legislative requirements such as the Ontario Employment Standards Act.
Some features of this module:
- Salary requisitions, which are coordinated with Queen's payroll, will be generated through the PeopleSoft system for all Queen's employees and affiliates.
- New payroll processes and "cut-offs:" Changes will apply to the timing of data entry and how data is processed and validated to generate a final payment.
- Timekeepers: Individuals who will be designated by departments and use the system to report, validate, and audit staff time.
- Workgroups: Every employee will be assigned to a workgroup. These are groups of employees with similar attributes such as time reporting codes, periods, and other business rules.
- Time will be reported on a per job basis: Employees with multiple jobs will have multiple job records.
- Increased accessibility: It will be possible for Timekeepers to electronically access and provide reports on details such as vacation balances, leaves taken and payable time reported to Payroll.
These changes will improve payroll processing efficiencies and the overall function of the Human Resources system at Queen's, and will affect virtually all staff at Queen's and its affiliates.
Please note that the Time & Labour system will not be used for students hired on a contract or for faculty members. Time and Labour is not applicable to contingent workers such as guests or volunteers who need only limited access to Queen's systems, such as email.
The first phase of the Time and Labour module is scheduled for release in December 2011.
|The following employee classes WILL use the Time & Labour system
|The following employee classes will NOT use the Time & Labour system
- General Staff
- CUPE 229
- CUPE 254
- CUPE 1302
- AFP Faculty of Health Sciences Clinicians
(for additional compensation only)
- Research (RG&C)
- Adjunct 1, 2 & 3
- Academic Assistant/Related
- Contingent Workers