Office of the University Registrar Newsletter - July 2014
Summer may have just started, but the countdown to September and the beginning of Fall classes is well underway.
July is an important time for course registrations, applications for financial aid and submitting your photo for your student card. Here are some tips on important items you need to be working on this month:
- Course Selection for the new academic year begins July 14th!
- Make sure to check SOLUS after July 2nd to find out when your Enrolment Appointment will take place and what the 2014/15 course schedule looks like.
- Feel free to also add courses to your Shopping Cart in SOLUS. This may help make your Enrolment Appointment in July go quickly.
- Remember, Enrolment Appointments don’t start until Course Selection begins on July 14th.
- If you’re new to Queen’s, you’ll also be new to SOLUS. You can find tips on navigating the course selection process either by following our online step-by-step tutorial or by checking out the new Guide to Registration and Fees
- Check your SOLUS account to ensure you do not have any outstanding debt that may block you from registering in the fall, or enrolling in the Grad Payment Plan. If you have a “Payment in Full Required” or “Senate Sanction” indicator in the “Holds” section, pay your overdue debt so you may register. Note it can take up to 3 business days for an online payment to reach your account.
- Students attending the First Year at Bader International Study Centre in UK, will register in their FY courses on or after BISC SOAR on July 25th and 26th. A guide to registration will be emailed to students prior to SOAR.
- If you have submitted your 2014-2015 OSAP application (before July 1st), remember to submit all of your supporting documentation before the middle of August (if applicable) to ensure your funding for September. More information is available on the OSAP website.
- Tips for an error free OSAP application! Find out more about how to report scholarships/awards and other types of income correctly to ensure your 2014-2015 OSAP assessment is accurate!
- Reminder: Your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MFSAA) must be taken in person to a designated Canada Post Outlet. It should not be mailed to the Office of the University Registrar – Student Awards. Full details about the steps required to submit the MFSAA can be found on the University Registrar - Student Awardsweb site.
- If you are a student from outside Ontario and are applying for government student assistance, be sure to visit the Student Awards website, with links to various financial assistance programs across Canada and the United States
- The 2014-2015 Work study application is available on the Student Awards website. Note: If you are a current student who received a Work Study entitlement last year (2013-14) you may be automatically eligible for 2014-15. Check the Student Awards web site for Work Study automatic eligibility requirements. You may not have to submit an application!
- Fall 2014 Graduation! Will you meet your degree requirements to graduate this Fall? You will need to submit an ‘Application to Graduate’ in SOLUS. The Application windows begin from July 15th. Please consult the Applying for Graduation webpage for more information, as well as how to apply via SOLUS.
Please note that there are identified compatibility issues when using Google Chrome to access SOLUS. We recommend that applications be made using an alternate web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Mozilla Firefox).
- Queen’s is committed to an inclusive and accessible campus community! Student records and resources are available in alternative formats. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or come into Gordon Hall, Room 125 for more information.
- Your mail needs you – help it find its way! Don’t miss one important document. Update your address on SOLUS today!
- Watch your @queensu.ca email for a letter with instructions for submitting your photo. Your student card will be made over the summer so you can pick it up and have it validated in September. The schedule is available at http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/currentstudents/studentcard.html
- If you’re new to Queen’s, a great way to start your time with us is to come to the Summer Orientation to Academics and Resources (SOAR).SOAR aims to help ease the transition of our incoming first-year on-campus students and their families. Participants have an opportunity to learn about academic expectations, resources, learning strategies, and common student transition issues. Sessions start in the first part of July. Register early, as space is limited! For more information on how to register, please visit the Student Experience Office website.
- Fall 2014 and Winter 2015 Upper Year courses are now on the BISC site! You can spend your fall or winter semester at the Castle, taking credits towards your degree in an intimate setting with exciting field trips! Check out our new offerings here.
- If you’re enrolled in a Summer course, Summer exams run July 31-August 2 (May-July 12 week courses) and August 14-15 (July-August 6 week courses). The deadline to register for conflicts or special accommodations is July 7 (July/August exams).
- If you are coming to Queen’s for the first time in Fall 2014, check out the Orientation page on the School of Graduate Studies website. There you will find a number of links to services and resources that will help you settle into your studies and life on campus.
- The latest SGPS Newsletter can be found here.
- Add the SGS’s blog, written by fellow grad students, to your blog reader for an inside scoop on grad-related happenings on campus, as well as a personal perspective on the Queen’s graduate studies experience!
- Graduate students can choose to pay their fees through a pre-authorized payment plan (PPL). You can sign up for the Fall 2014/Winter 2015 PPL beginning July 1st. Even if you were on a payment plan in previous years and wish to participate this year, you must re-enroll yourself again for the 2014/2015 Academic Year. To enroll in the Fall 2014/Winter 2015 PPL, go to your SOLUS account. Ensure your banking information is complete and correct by September 30, so that the Oct 5, 2014 withdrawal will be successful.
If you need help, click on CONTACT US. You can email us, call us, or come in to see us in Gordon Hall!