University Registrar


University Registrar

site header



Financial FAQ's for Students



Staying on top of your student fees account is an important step toward a successful academic year.

This page additional information to help you manage your fees and payments throughout your studies at Queen's.


Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic - Current Services and 2020-21 Dates and Deadline Adjustments

The Office of the University Registrar (OUR) is here to provide service to you.
We continue to offer online and remote service delivery to help reduce the global spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Our commitment to provide support to you remains our priority during this time and our core operations will continue.  As many staff within the OUR are working remotely, we would ask that your inquiries be directed as follows:
If you need a completed form (e.g. Verification of Enrolment required by an RESP provider to access funds) or letter (e.g.  degree certificate) from us, go to our Document Request page for easy instructions.
We are regularly updating our website and will be adding “how-to” videos to help you get what you need as quickly as possible.
Please continue to monitor the Queen’s University’s COVID-19 webpage ( for the most up to date information.

Winter 2021 Process Changes and Deadline Adjustments

In response to operational changes at the university due to the ongoing global pandemic, the university has implemented initiatives and process changes to help smooth out tuition and fee payments, awards disbursement and registration processes for students. These changes include:
  • Currently withholding monthly interest fees on unpaid balances.
  • Currently waiving the $150 late fee on overdue accounts
  • Instituting more flexible deadlines for disbursement of all internal funding related to graduate student research. More information can be found at:

Please note that Winter Term tuition and fees must be received no later than January 31st.

Student Activity Fees
How do I know if I have to pay Student Activity fees?

All students who register in 9.0 or more credit-hours in a term, or 18.0 or more over both Fall and Winter terms, must pay Student Activity fees. Any questions regarding activity fees or about opting out procedures should be directed to

  •  Alma Mater Society: AMS Information Officer at Room 044, John Deutsch University Centre, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3N6; email:
  •  Society of Graduate and Professional Students: SGPS, Room 021, John Deutsch University Centre, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3N6;

Please visit our Ancillary Fees information page for more details on mandatory and optional student activity fees.

Transfer Students
I am a transfer student. When do I register?

You can find information on key registration dates in the current Guide to Registration and Fees

As an upper year transfer student, you will need to follow the key dates for your faculty or school.

I plan to take a full course load but I am not registered in all of my courses. How do I know what to pay?

On your SOLUS Account Summary, 'Minimum Payment Due' is the total amount you should pay to Queen's now. NOTE: This amount will update as upcoming due dates approach! The "You Owe" is the total amount outstanding to Queen's.

To calculate fees for courses for which you have not yet registered, see the fee schedule that applies to you. Make your payment based on the total number of courses that you plan to take in the term, even if you have not yet signed up for all these courses. 


SOLUS: Account Summary graphic


How can I find out how much OSAP money I'll be receiving?

You will receive information from the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development when your OSAP application has been processed.  In the meantime, you can check your account online at

Be prepared to enter your OSAP Access Number (OAN) and password.

Alternately, you can email the Student Awards Office at

Health Insurance
How do I meet the health coverage requirement?

The University ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY for uninsured medical or hospital expenses incurred by a student or their dependants.

If you are an International student, returning Canadian or Landed Immigrant, go to the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC) (during office hours).

If you are a Canadian coming from another province, refer to the Health Insurance questions on FAQs for Parents.

If you are covered by a health and/or dental plan through a parent, spouse or sponsor, you can opt out of the university plan by providing proof of coverage to the student insurance provider. Members of the AMS (Undergraduate students) can find opt-out details on their website at: Members of the SGPS (Masters, PhD, Law, 5th-Year Education) can find opt-out details on their website at:

I have questions about courses I wish to register in. Where should I call?

If your question is academic (rather than about payments or other registration details) you should contact the Department in which you wish to register.

Late Fee
Why did I get charged a Late Fee?

You must pay your fees by the respective due dates. For example, if you do not pay your tuition and SAL by September 1st, 2017, and do NOT have an approved APA you will be subject to the Late Fee.

If you have an APA, but do not pay your tuition owing on September 30th, you will be subject to the Late Fee.

How do I appeal the Late Fee?

If payment is made less than five (5) business days before the fee deadline, it is likely that your payment will not be posted by that date.

If you have made your payment prior to the deadline, but:

1. the amount was not posted to your account until after that date; AND,

2. you were charged a Late Fee

You may appeal that charge by sending a copy of your dated payment receipt (either by fax or by e-mail) showing that your payment was made on or before the deadline.

You can direct your proof of payment to:


Fax: 613.533.2068

When will I find out which residence room I have been assigned?

Students will be advised by mail by mid-August by the Residence Business Office.