As of 10:00 am on May 1, 2012, Queen's School of Religion officially merged with Queen's University. Our new identity will be as the School of Religion at Queen's University. For administrative purposes, we are part of the Faculty of Arts and Science.
On April 30, the QSR Board of Management held its final meeting. At a dinner which followed, the Board, Staff and Faculty had a chance to celebrate the past and look forward to our future as fully re-integrated with Queen's University.
In 1912, Queen's College at Kingston (established by the Presbyterians in 1841) separated into two institutions, Queen's Theological College (renamed Queen's School of Religion in 2009) and Queen's University, in large part to facilitate the University's eligibility to receive public funding. The two institutions have shared this campus for 100 years and there has been a very close relationship between them.
This merger comes on the 100th anniversary of that separation. Much has changed in the meantime, including the development of undergraduate and graduate programs in Religious Studies alongside the Theology programs. What has not changed is the notion that one must be religiously literate to understand the contemporary world, whether contemporary with 1841, 1912 or 2012.
We would like to thank everyone, both from QSR and from Queen's University who worked hard to make all the details of the merger happen.