XENOPHOBIA VICTIMS OFF TO ZIM

News 24 , 12 June 2008

PLEASE NOTE: Readers wishing to reproduce and reference this article
should contact the editors of the News 24 for permission


More buses and trucks have been dispatched from Zimbabwe to pick up people from South Africa who have been displaced by the recent xenophobic violence, says Zimbabwean ambassador to SA Simon Khaya Moyo. He said five busses and trucks would pick up Zimbabweans who wanted to return home from the shelter in Germiston on Thursday. "We also still have people in camps in Cape Town and Durban who have indicated that they are ready to return home," Moyo said. He said the embassy was working on plans to get those Zimbabweans to Gauteng and then back to Zimbabwe. More than 700 people had already voluntarily returned home after the Zimbabwean government previously sent transport to take them back. "They have been integrated back home with their families," Moyo said. He previously indicated that as many as 5 000 Zimbabweans had been displaced by the violence. Some were choosing to stay in South Africa but told their country's diplomats that they were worried about the SA government's plans to reintegrate them into communities. "They are not feeling very safe, they don't know how it will end up," Moyo said.