(As approved by the University Council Executive Committee February 2014)
Mandate To set the strategic direction and priorities for the Annual Meeting of the University Council (AGM) under the guidance of the Executive Committee and in collaboration with the University Secretariat.
- Four elected members of the University Council who are not also members of the Executive Committee or the Board of Trustee
- Two members of the University Council Executive Committee, excluding the Principal, Chancellor, and Senate appointee to the University Council
- One member of the Board of Trustees who is elected by the University Council and who may or may not also be a member of the Executive Committee
Appointment of Members
The Executive Committee will consider the following when making appointments:
- Committee diversity including but not limited to age, gender, geographic location, Queen’s program of study and graduating year, and career path;
- A balance of new and returning members.
Members will normally be appointed for annually, with the possibility of reappointment to a maximum of three consecutive appointments. After a break of at least one year, interested candidates may stand for appointment again
Appointment of the Chair
The Executive Committee selects the chair from among the individuals appointed to the Program Committee on an annual basis. Individuals will not normally be reappointed chair in consecutive years.
Responsibilities of the Committee
- Seeking input and ideas from the Executive Committee, members of the University Council, and related stakeholders;
- Providing strategic-level advice on program content, venue selection, meeting structure, and related pre- and post-meeting activities;
- Participating in committee meetings, either in person or telephonically;
- Recommending the proposed program to the Executive Committee for approval; and,
- Participating in a post-AGM debrief meeting and in the development of the committee’s final report to the Executive Committee.
After the Executive Committee approves the proposed program, the committee is discharged of all duties save for item III 5.
Responsibilities of the Committee Chair
- Regularly communicating with the University Secretariat throughout the program development process;
- Assisting the secretary with setting meeting agendas;
- Reviewing draft documents and communications on behalf of the committee;
- Facilitating committee meetings, either in person or telephonically;
- Liaising with the Executive Committee; and,
- Coordinating the committee’s final report to the Executive Committee.
After the Executive Committee approves the proposed program, the chair will act on the committee’s behalf should any questions arise related to the contents of the approved program.
Responsibilities of the University Secretariat
The University Secretariat assumes all administrative and logistical responsibilities related to the Program Committee and the AGM. Where appropriate, the University Secretariat may seek the advice of the committee chair regarding the items listed below.
- Scheduling committee meetings;
- Appointing a secretary to support the committee by setting meeting agendas in consultation with the chair, preparing minutes, and tracking action items;
- Preparing draft communications and documents for review by the chair;
- Preparing and/or collecting agenda materials for the meeting;
- Distributing the AGM agenda and related communications to Council;
- Drafting the post-AGM survey in consultation with the chair, distributing the survey to AGM attendees, and producing an executive summary of the results;
- Administering the Council budget.
- Establishing all deadlines related to the meeting;
- Arranging all bookings, arrangements, and contracts required for the meeting;
- Determining what refreshments and meals will be provided at the meeting;
- Determining what remote participation options will be available throughout the meeting;
- Facilitating AGM registration including developing the web form and distributing invitations;
- Making arrangements for presenters and guest speakers;
- Determining breakout group assignments; and
- Preparing all name tags, signage, print materials, and other supplies required for the AGM.
Meetings and Decisions of the Committee Chair
Meetings will normally be held via teleconference with the option for local members to participate in person. The committee may conduct business via email.
The Executive Committee retains responsibility for approving the AGM program, as per University Council by-law B2, section b). The Program Committee will recommend the proposed AGM program to the Executive Committee for approval.
Following the AGM, the Program Committee will provide a final report to the Executive Committee summarizing their experience and may include recommendations for the next Program Committee to consider.
Dissolution of Program Committee
The Executive Committee will formally dissolve the Program Committee upon receipt of their post-AGM final report.
Chair: J. Mould
Secretary: C. Garneau