Human Resources Committee
(approved by the Board of Trustees December 5, 2008, amended May 2013)
I. Purpose and Authority
The Human Resources Committee shall establish the terms and conditions of employment of the Principal on behalf of the Board of Trustees. The Chair of the Board is hereby authorized to enter into such instruments in this regard as may be required.
The Human Resources Committee is responsible for approving mandates, including parameters with respect to language and costs, within which the administration is to negotiate collective agreements as well as monitoring administrative strategies in negotiations and the progress of negotiations. The Committee is empowered to ratify collective agreements on behalf of the Board of Trustees.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
The Human Resources Committee will:
- Annually solicit, review and evaluate the comments of the members of the Board, key stakeholders across the university and external constituencies with respect to the performance of the Principal and consider such other data, reports and information as the Committee considers useful and thereafter provide advice to the Chair of the Board on the performance of the Principal. Annual Performance Assessment Process.
- Review the overall compensation of the Principal.
- Establish the key performance goals and objectives for the Principal and advise the Board accordingly.
- Monitor executive and university trends for compensation and benefits for senior institutional administrators.
- Provide counsel and support to the Principal and/or the Associate Vice- Principal (Human Resources) on organizational issues/changes that involve senior management and have significant internal and/or external implications for the University.
- Recommend policies for the approval of the Board of Trustees, from time to time, concerning search for, and reviews of, the Principal.
Membership is entirely ex officio and restricted to:
- The Chair of the Board of Trustees, who shall be the Committee Chair
- The Chancellor
- The Vice-Chairs of the Board
- Minimum of two times per year and as required by the Chair