External Examiner (Ph.D. Oral Examinations Only)
Three - four weeks prior to the oral thesis examination, an email will be sent from the School of Graduate Studies confirming the date, time and location of the exam. Included in this email is a letter from the Vice-Provost and Dean of the School of Graduate Studies with the link for the travel claim form, notes on the conduct of oral examinations at Queen's University and report form (please see note below).
REPORT: A written evaluation of the thesis is to be sent by email to email@example.com at least 5 working days before the defense. This report is not to be revealed to the candidate or the supervisors before the oral examination.
All files are in PDF format which can be viewed using Adobe Reader
It is preferred that all examiners be physically present for the oral thesis examination.
However, in certain extenuating circumstances, it is acceptable for the oral thesis examination to be scheduled so that the external examiner from outside of Queen's University could participate in the oral thesis examination remotely using some method of videoconference of teleconference.
Arrangements for the use of remote access services must be made by the graduate department/program. Remote participation of the external examiner must be agreed to by the Department Head and/or Graduate Coordinator, the student, and supervisor(s) of the student, being examined.
This must be reported by the department/program on the Ph.D. Oral Thesis Examination Form (PDF, 138 KB).
Note: The Ph.D. student being examined must be present in person at Queen's University for their oral thesis examination.
Rooms on campus with remote capabilities:
If your department does not have the required facilities, the following rooms are available for booking:
- D120 Mac-Corry Hall (seats 9 around the table)
- B113 Mac-Corry Hall (seats about 30)
- Gordon Hall 402b (4th floor) - seats 9 for internet-based video conferencing only. Users must have their own internet-system account (eg Skype, Google) as well as own technical support. Memo to Grad Assistants on the Internet Enabled Video Conferencing Thesis defence room in Gordon Hall 402b(145KB)
- Teleconference, same as a long distance call.
- Videoconference, expensive.
- Skype is free.
The external examiner will receive a $100.00 honorarium and will be reimbursed for travel expenses as per the University’s travel policy. Please note that the most reasonable and affordable means of travel and accommodation should be sought. Original itemized travel receipts (including meal receipts) and boarding passes (air and rail travel) are to be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies. Out-of-country examiners are paid/reimbursed in US$, at par with Can$.
The School of Graduate Studies will cover expenses as follows:
- travel for an amount up to $500;
- accommodation for one night;
- meals up to maximums specified in the Treasury Board of Canada Joint National Council guidelines (Appendix C travel). Please see http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/ for current rates