Purpose of the School of Graduate Studies
Under the auspices of Senate, the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) in concert with the Faculties/Schools is responsible for the conduct of graduate studies at Queen's University. Its mandate is to support student achievement consistent with the highest possible academic standards in graduate degree programs and to foster excellence in graduate student research.
It fulfills the mandate in collaboration with Faculties/School through the development and implementation of appropriate regulations and operating procedures for admissions, programs of study, and completion of degree requirements and through the support of graduate students.
Specific responsibilities follow:
- Setting policy concerning all graduate (masters' and doctoral) degree programs, graduate certificate and diploma programs within its jurisdiction and subject to the authority of Senate;
- Making recommendations to the Senate and the Vice-Principal (Academic) concerning the development and operation of graduate studies and graduate education;
- Ensuring adherence to program quality assurance standards;
- Ensuring adherence to institutional and external program approval and on-going audit requirements;
- Ensuring compliance with provincial government regulations as they relate to program quality, program approval, and program funding requirements;
- Graduate enrollment planning and management;
- Working with graduate programs to develop and support recruitment strategies;
- Admission of students to graduate degree programs and qualifying students for subsequent admission to graduate degree programs;
- Supporting graduate student achievement;
- Monitoring the progress of graduate students at the university, overseeing the maintenance of academic standards, and recommending to Senate the awarding of graduate degrees;
- Appointing and convening the Fellowship Committee;
- Appointing and convening the Academic Appeal Board;
- Managing Queen's graduate student awards;
- The publication of the Calendar of the School, and of all official publications concerning graduate work within the jurisdiction of the School.
The design, implementation and oversight of graduate curriculum is a shared responsibility between the Graduate Studies Executive Council and the Faculty Graduate Councils/Committees.