School of

Graduate Studies

site header

International Studentscover of international student handbook

As an international student although the majority of the requirements to apply and to register are the same as domestic students, there are some additional considerations you need to be aware of. Please read carefully.


International Student Handbook (pdf)

Application & Admissions

As an international student, there are many aspects to consider before applying to a graduate program and then there is the application process itself.

Registration & Fees

Considering and understanding all the costs associated with studying is important to allow you to concentrate on your studies. Enrolling in graduate school also has a number of steps. Make sure you don't miss any, so you can start your program on time.

Awards & Funding

It is important you look at what funding sources are available to you. Know how you will get paid, what you need to do and result of changing status.

Resources for International Students
Throughout your time at Queen's you may need to see advice or assistance. There are a number of departments
  • QUIC - Queen's University International Centre
  • SASS - Student Academic Success Services
  • Career Services
  • SGPS Student Advisors
  • HCDS - Health, Counselling & Disability Services
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need TOEFL if my studies were in English?

At Queen's, English is the language of instruction and communication, except in the language departments. Proficiency in English is a prerequisite for application to admission. Those applicants whose native languages do not include English will be required to obtain satisfactory standing in an English Language Proficiency test as part of the application process, and before final acceptance is granted.

Any applicant who has recently studied for at least one complete year at a university where English is the official language of instruction may be exempt from the English Language Proficiency test. An applicant requesting a waiver of the test for this reason should do so in writing and submit it with the application. The Director, Admissions and Student Services of the School of Graduate Studies, in consultation with the department, will make determinations in these cases.

Do I need to make minimum payment if I have not arrived in Canada?

Upon request sent by email to the Office of the University Registrar, a new international graduate student could be granted a waiver of this requirement, which would allow them to proceed through online registration without making the minimum registration payment.

How do I set up a bank account after I arrive in Canada?

International students are required to show their acceptance letter to the bank to be able to open an account.

How do I get a health insurance plan?

Enrolment in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for international students is mandatory for you and any dependants who arrive with you. UHIP provides basic medical insurance coverage for hospitals, doctors and some diagnostic fees. You and your dependents must enrol within 30 days of your arrival in Canada or you will pay a penalty of $500 plus retroactive premiums.

You must visit the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC) upon your arrival to Canada to apply for UHIP. All international students attempting to pre-register or register must complete a UHIP application to enroll themselves and their family members who reside in Ontario in UHIP.

Questions about the UHIP application process should be directed to QUIC by emailing them, calling them at extension 613-533-2604 (internal extension 32604) or visiting them in the John Deutsch University Centre.

Where should I look to find a place to live if I'm accepted?

Graduate students can find housing both on campus and off campus.

Are international students funded for their graduate studies?

International graduate students can receive funding for their studies at Queen's through a combination of stipends, awards, bursaries and employment opportunities.

As for domestic students, Queen's has a guaranteed minimum stipend for funding-eligible international PhD students currently valued at $18,000.

All international doctoral students without full external government funding who are admitted to full-time study at Queen's are eligible to receive an International Tuition Award. Under this program, each new international full-time doctoral student receives an award to be held during his or her funding-eligible years of study. The annual award is applied as a tuition credit directly to the students' fees account. Please contact the graduate coordinator of the department you are interested in for details.

Like domestic students, prospective or enrolled international graduate students do not make individual application for most internal named fellowships or scholarships or departmental awards administered by the School of Graduate Studies.

Can international students be teaching assistants?

Yes they can. Most graduate departments/programs engage several graduate students (both domestic and international) each year to assist in undergraduate teaching, tutorial work, and laboratory demonstrating, as Teaching Assistants (TAs).