Blakely Student Initiatives Fund
The Blakely Family Gift provides for a Blakely Family Student Initiatives Fund to supports student participation in projects devoted to the principles of personal growth and/or community service. Projects should provide educational opportunities such as participation in exchanges, competitions, internships, symposia, conferences and seminars.
The Fund's Income Account shall be used to provide modest grants to students based on the following criteria:
- Applicants must be undergraduate or graduate students (MA yrs. 1 & 2 and PhD yrs 1-4)
- The activity must be non-profit in nature.
- Applicants should provide a clear sense of the activity's purpose, which will be evaluated against the objectives of the Blakely Fund.
- Applicants must provide a budget for the activity.
- Those students that provide evidence of efforts to obtain financial assistance from elsewhere will be viewed more favourably.
- Since a positive public image for the Department of Sociology and Queen's University is desirable, applicants should identify how and/or where the project will support this image.
- Successful applicants are expected to report in writing to the Head of Department after the completion of their activity. The report should summarize the activity undertaken, and include copies of media coverage; a financial statement listing budgeted versus actual figures, and any other information that might be of interest to the Dean.
- Applications must be submitted prior to the event. Original receipts, including boarding passes if applicable, must be provided upon return in order to receive reimbursement.
Blakely Student Initiatives Fund Application (314 KB)*
Applications may be submitted at any time during the year but must be submitted prior to the conference.
*PDF files can be viewed using Adobe Reader.