Surveillance studies; (in)security governance, policing; settler colonial studies (settler governmentality); social movements studies; sociology of crime and punishment; sociology of law; access to information / freedom of information practices.
Refereed Journal Articles:
- Monaghan, Jeffrey (forthcoming). "Mounties in the Frontier: Circulations, Anxieties, and Myths of Settler Colonial Policing in Canada," Journal of Canadian Studies.
- Monaghan, Jeffrey (2013). "Terror Carceralism: Surveillance, (in)Security Proliferation, and de/Civilization," Punishment and Society.
- Monaghan, Jeffrey and Kevin Walby (2012). “‘… They Attacked the City’: Security Intelligence, the Sociology of Protest Policing, and the Anarchist Threat at the 2010 Toronto G20 Summit,” Current Sociology.
- Crosby, Andy and Jeffrey Monaghan (2012). “Settler Governmentality and the Algonquin of Barriere Lake,” Security Dialogue 42(5). (Special Issue: Governing (in)Security in the Post-Colonial World).
- Monaghan, Jeffrey and Kevin Walby (2012). “Making up ‘Terror Identities’: Security Intelligence, Canada’s Integrated Threat Assessment Centre, and Social Movement Suppression,” Policing and Society 22(2).
- Walby, Kevin and Jeffrey Monaghan (2011). “‘Haitian Paradox’ or Dark Side of the Security-Development Nexus? Canada’s role in the Securitization of Haiti, 2004-2009,” Alternatives 36(4).
- Walby, Kevin and Jeff Monaghan (2011). “Private Eyes and Public Order: Policing and Surveillance in the Suppression of Animal Rights Activists in Canada,” Social Movement Studies 10(1).
- Walby, Kevin and Jeff Monaghan (2010). “Policing Proliferation: The Militarization of Police and Atomic Energy Canada Limited's Nuclear Response Forces,” Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice 52(2).
- Monaghan, Jeff and Kevin Walby (2008). “The Green Scare is Everywhere: The Long Reach of the War on ‘Eco-Terrorism’” Upping the Anti (6).
Book Chapters in Edited Volumes:
- Cochrane, DT and Jeffrey Monaghan (forthcoming). “‘A Degree of Control’: Corporations and the Struggle Against South African Apartheid,” in Di Muzio, Tim (editor) The Capitalist Mode of Power: Critical Engagements with the Power Theory of Value. Routledge/RIPE: Studies in Political Economy.
- Monaghan, Jeffrey and Yavar Hameed (2012). “Accessing Dirty Data: Methodological Strategies for Social Problems Researchers,” in Brokering Access: Politics, Power and Freedom of Information in Canada. Larsen, Mike and Kevin Walby (eds.). UBC Press.
- Cochrane, DT and Jeff Monaghan (2012). “Fight to Win! Empiricizing Political-Economic Disruption Campaigns,” in The Accumulation of Freedom: Writings on Anarchist Economics. Nocella, Anthony J. II, Deric Shannon, and John Asimakopoulos (eds.). AK Press.
- Monaghan, Jeffrey (2012). “Review of Stephen Graham’s Cities Under Siege,” Surveillance and Society,9(3):328-330.
- Monaghan, Jeffrey (2012). “Review of Jeff Shantz’s Active Anarchy,” Canadian Journal of Sociology, 37(2):200-203.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- Canadian Law and Society Association Annual meetings, June 2012, Waterloo. “Surveillance and Settler Colonialism: Indigenous Identities and Modes of Ordering in Canada’s North-West.”
- Canadian Sociology Association Annual Meetings, June 2012, Waterloo. “On Terror Identities and Petty Sovereigns: The Case of Nawal Haj Khalil,” w/ Madalena Santos.
- Critical Perspectives: Criminology and Social Justice, Annual conference, May 2012. “Terror Identities: The Case of Nawal Haj Khalil,” w/ Madalena Santos.
- Queen’s Sociology Works in Progress Symposium, April 2012. “Revanchist Policing in Ottawa: Tourism, Dispersion, and Gentrification.”
- Surveillance Studies Centre Workshop, January 2012. “Terror Carceralism: Surveillance and Punishment of Terror Convicts in Canada.”
- Canadian Law and Society Association Mid-term meetings, January 2012, Ottawa. “Policing Poverty for Tourism: Project Infusion, Social Cleansing, and Business Improvement Associations in Ottawa,” w/ Andrew Crosby.
Conference Presentations (129 kB)*
*PDF files can be viewed using Adobe Reader