B.A. (Istanbul), M.A. (Middle East Technical)
Office: D402 Mackintosh-Corry Hall
Phone: 613.533.6000 ext. 75547
Supervisor: Dr. David Lyon
- Surveillance & Security Studies
- Borders and Migration
- Sociology of Information and Communication Technologies
- Classical and Contemporary Social Theory
- PhD Sociology (2009-Present) – Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- MA Sociology (2006-2009) – Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- BA Business Administration (2002-2006) – Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Refereed Journal Articles:
- Topak, OE. (Forthcoming) The Biopolitical Border in Practice: Surveillance and Death at the Greece-Turkey Borders, Environment and Planning D: Society and Space.
- Topak, OE. (2013) Governing Turkey’s Information Society, Current Sociology, 61 (5-6) : 565-583.
- Topak, OE. (2014) The New Borders of the European Union: Digital Surveillance and Social Sorting, in Mehmet Okyayuz, Peter Herrmann and Claire Dorrity, eds. Migration Global Processes Caught in National Answers, Wiener Verlag für Sozialforschung: Wien, pp.17-35.
- Lyon, D. & Topak, OE. (2013) Promoting Global Identification: Corporations, IGOs and ID Card Systems, in Kirstie Ball, Laureen Snider, eds. The Surveillance-Industrial Complex, A Political Economy of Surveillance, London: Routledge, pp. 27-43.
- Topak, O. E. (2013) “Biopolitical Surveillance and Resistance at the Greece-Turkey Borders”, Borders, Walls, Security Conference at University of Quebec, Montreal, Canada. October 17-19, 2013.
- Topak, O. E. (2013) “Digital Borders and Migrant Rights” Relocating Borders/EastBordNet Conference, Berlin, Germany. January 11-13, 2013.
- Topak, O. E. (2012) “Biopolitics, Ethics and Resistance at the Greece-Turkey Border,” 4S / EASST conference, Copenhagen, Denmark. October 17-20, 2012.
- Topak, O. E. (2011) “E-ID Cards in a Digital Europe” 6 th ECPR General Conference, Reykjavik, Iceland. 24-27 August 2011.
- Topak, O. E. (2011) “Exclusion of the Roma: Re-Questioning European Modernity and Citizenship”. Migration and Asylum in Europe and EU-Canada Relations Experts Meeting, Ottawa, 21 March 2011.
- Topak, O. E. (2010) “E-Governmentalisation of the Turkish State: Power, Discourse, Identity”. 2010 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Sociological Association (CSA), Montreal, Canada.
- Topak, O. E. & Topal, C. (2009) “From MERNIS to E-Government: Surveillance in Turkey”. 11 th Conference of the Turkish Social Science Association (TSBD). Ankara, Turkey.
- Topak, O. E. (2009). “Electronic ID Cards in the Societies of Control”. 9 th Conference of European Sociological Association (ESA). Lisbon, Portugal.