Bounce Back is an academic support program for first-year undergraduate students in the Faculty of Arts & Science who acquire a GPA of less than 1.6 in their first term.
Students who opt-in to the program will be matched with a trained upper-year peer mentor (called a Bounce Back Facilitator). Facilitators will work individually with each participant to help them identify the source(s) of their academic hardship and to set new goals and identify strategies to achieve those goals over the course of the winter term. The program runs for nine weeks (January - March).
This program is largely modeled off the highly successful Bounce Back program at the University of Guelph and we would like to acknowledge the resources and support provided by their Bounce Back team in the development of this program in its pilot year.
How does the program work?
- Check your Queen's email for an invitation from the Bounce Back Program Coordinator in early January 2014. All first-year Arts & Science students with a GPA of 1.6 or below after the fall term will receive an email inviting them to participate.
- Follow the instructions in the email and complete the short online self-assessment form.
- Your Bounce Back Facilitator will contact you by email to set-up your first meeting
- Connect with your Bounce Back Facilitator throughout the winter term.
- Keep track of your progress and work towards your goals.
- Achieve success!
What does a Bounce Back Facilitator do?
Bounce Back Facilitators will help you
- reflect on your first semester
- explore stressors and coping skills
- assess study skills
- set goals and develop strategies to achieve them
- develop learning strategies and an individual learning plan
- access on-campus resources and support services
Bounce Back Facilitators do not provide
- counselling services
- subject-specific tutoring
Meet the Bounce Back Team - coming soon!
Still not sure if Bounce Back is the right program for you? Please feel free to email us at email@example.com. We'd love to hear from you. We're here to help all students with the transition to university, so send us a message and let us know how things are going!