Bounce Back Facilitators
*The 2014-15 Bounce Back Facilitator competition is now closed for all faculties/schools.
* Interested in become a Bounce Back Facilitator for 2015-16? Check back in late Spring 2015 for more information.
Who are Bounce Back Facilitators?
Bounce Back Facilitators are trained upper-year students (3rd year or above) who have skills and experience that can help first-year students get back on track academically.
Bounce Back Facilitators work one-on-one with participants to:
- Help them reflect on their first semester
- Explore stressors and coping skills
- Assess study skills
- Help them set goals and develop strategies to achieve those goals
- Help them develop learning strategies and an individual learning plan
- Access on-campus support services
Bounce Back Facilitators do not provide:
- Counselling services
- Subject-specific tutoring
How do we recruit Bounce Back Facilitators?
Recruitment and hiring for incoming Facilitators takes place in late June/early July. Interviews are conducted in August.
We look for facilitators who are friendly, good listeners, involved on-campus and have experience with academic and/or personal struggle. Familiarity with the university and its existing support services is an asset.
The Office of the Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs offers full training and ongoing support to all facilitators. All facilitators are required to attend mandatory training sessions prior to the beginning of the program.