Bounce Back is an academic support program for first-year undergraduate students in the Faculty of Engineering, Nursing or Commerce.
Fall term eligibility:
- Students who fail one or more mid-term in October (all faculties);
- Students who are identified by their respective faculty or school.
Winter term eligibility:
- Commerce: Students who acquire a GPA of less than 2.0 and/or fail one or more courses;
- Engineering: Students who are required to enroll in J-Section;
- Nursing: Students who acquire a GPA of 1.6 or below and/or who fail one or more courses.
Students who opt-in to the program will be matched with a trained upper-year peer mentor (called a Bounce Back Facilitator). Facilitators will work individually with each mentee to help them identify the source(s) of their academic hardship and to set new goals and identify strategies to achieve those goals. The program runs for throughout the fall and winter terms (Oct-Dec and Jan-Apr).
This program is largely modeled off the highly successful Bounce Back program at the University of Guelph and we would like to acknowledge the resources and support provided by their Bounce Back team in the development of this program in its pilot year (2013).
How does the program work?
- Check your Queen's email for an invitation from the Bounce Back Program Coordinator in late October 2015 and early January 2016. Email invitations are sent out throughout both fall and winter terms.
- Follow the instructions in the email and complete the short online self-assessment form.
- Your Bounce Back Facilitator will contact you by email to set-up your first meeting so keep an eye on your inbox for an email from them. The matching process takes approximately 5-7 business days.
- Connect with your Bounce Back Facilitator throughout the fall and winter terms.
- Keep track of your progress and work towards your goals.
- Achieve success!
What does a Bounce Back Facilitator do?
Bounce Back Facilitators will help you
- reflect on your first semester
- explore stressors and coping skills
- assess study skills
- set goals and develop strategies to achieve them
- develop learning strategies and an individual learning plan
- access on-campus resources and support services
Bounce Back Facilitators do not provide
- counselling services
- subject-specific tutoring
Still not sure if Bounce Back is the right program for you? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to hear from you. We're here to with the transition to university, so send us a message and let us know how you are doing!