A First Year Experience Program
- A little nervous about your first year?
- Wondering what to expect academically?
- Interested in meeting new people as part of a small learning group?
DO YOU WANT TO
- Better understand your program and professors' expectations?
- Build on your strengths and increase your passion to learn?
- Gain a sense of place and confidence in your new school and home?
Q Success may be for you.
Q Success is a transition program to help first year students develop knowledge, attitudes, and skills to support their personal and academic success at Queen's.
The program is delivered by training upper year peer mentors and professional staff who run a series of interactive sessions throughout the fall term.
Students who opt-in to the program are placed into small cohorts where they will learn how they can shape their first year experience at Queen's! The program runs for six weeks during the fall term and meetings are held weekly for 1 1/2 hours each. Three starts program start dates will be offered when registration opens in the summer.
Why should you participate?
Q Success allows you to get key information during the term from peers and professionals in a small group setting. By participating in the program, you will have the opportunity to:
- set goals and develop strategies to achieve those goals for your first semester;
- develop learning strategies and study skills;
- adapt and enhance skills learned in high school;
- become an independent and active learner;
- access on-campus support services;
- ease your transition to university; and
- meet other first-year students just like you!
One of the most important things I learned in Q Success is that I need to be healthy, both mentally and physically, in order to succeed. The program offered us speakers, resources, and tools to help deal with the stresses of university. One of my largest accomplishments of first year was balancing my school and work while being on the novice rowing team. I feel that achieving success academically and succeeding on the rowing team were only made possible through the added support of Q Success. - Q Success participant (2013)
For more information contact Cassandra Eberhardt, Q Success Program Coordinator, Office of the Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs firstname.lastname@example.org
SHAPE YOUR FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE