Health & Wellness Steering Committee
The Health and Wellness Steering Committee (HWSC) oversees a campus-wide, coordinated and comprehensive effort to support student health and wellness in consideration of the physical, socio-cultural, intellectual/academic, spiritual and environmental aspects of the student experience.
The HWSC drives the strategic direction and vision for a campus committed to enhancing helath and wellness; it provides high-level guidance for policies and programs developed within a framework that includes a cluster of working groups and promotes a vibrant, collaborative and supportive campus environment.
Current Working Groups:
- Alcohol - Bruce Griffiths, Chair
- Campus Safety - Roxy Denniston-Stewart, Chair
- Mental Health - Arig al Shaibah, Chair
- Physical Activity - Jayne Culbert, Chair
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Response - Arig al Shaibah, Chair
- Policies, programs and services should meet a standard consistent with best practices in addressing the determinants of health, particularly those in comparable post-secondary environments.
- Health and Wellness initiatives and student supports must meet the needs of the specific and diverse student population attending Queen’s University.
- Health and wellness initiatives should be based on a facilitative approach and should recognize the basic rights of students to make decisions and take responsibility for their well-being while attending university.
- Health and Wellness initiatives should take into account the specific nature of the Queen’s University context, including the resources available to develop and deliver appropriate programs and services.
- Documented policies and procedures related to Health and Wellness are living documents and must be revisited and revised to adapt to a changing environment.
- Ann Tierney, Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs, Chair
- Mike Condra, Health, Counselling and Disability Services
- Yvonne Cooper, University Communications
- Jean Cote, Kinesiology and Health Studies
- Jayne Culbert, Athletics and Recreation
- Roxy Denniston-Stewart, Student Affairs
- Arig al Shaibah, Student Affairs
- Bruce Griffiths, Housing and Ancillary Services
- Kate Humprhys, Health Promotion
- Philip Lloyd, AMS
- Ellie Sadinsky, Student Affairs
- TBC, SGPS