Most people don't often think about fire safety, but it's an important part of home safety. Here are some facts and tips about fire safety which will help you protect your home and belongings.
- There must be a smoke detector on every story of a home and outside all sleeping areas.
The Ontario Fire Code requires it. Ask your landlord about fire alarm and detection features.
- Call Kingston Fire and Rescue (Fire Prevention Bureau) for a free assessment.
If your landlord does not respond to requests about smoke detectors, Kingston Fire & Rescue can enforce your landlord's responsibility.
Phone 613-548-4001 ext. 5123.
- Test your smoke detectors.
Check regularly (at least once a month) that your smoke detector is operating well.
Replace the batteries at least twice a year.
- For optimal protection install a CO alarm on every storey.
The law now requires all homes to have at least one CSA-6.19.01 approved carbon monoxide alarm outside bedrooms.
- Ensure that all bars on windows have a quick-opening device.
- Don't leave cooking unattended.
- Always supervise lit candles.
- Turn off space heaters before you sleep or go out.
- Use extension cords safely. Don't overload them.
- Buy surge protectors.
- Have a fire extinguisher in your home. Learn to use it.
- Have a home safety plan.
If there is a fire, you will only have a couple of minutes to exit your house. Less than three minutes after a fire starts, all combustible material in a space ignites instantly in what is called flashover.