Queen's University


Student Affairs

site header

Leases and landlords

Read your lease! 

Whether you are a rookie or veteran tenant, signing a lease can be a challenge. There is great value in reading your lease carefully and understanding it well. Some leases contain particular clauses - for example, prohibitions on large gatherings in the home or the inclusion/non-inclusion of the yard, driveway and walkway adjacent to your home.

Queen's has some great resources for students, both online and in person, that can help you to maintain a positive relationship with your landlord.

Queen's Student Community Relations 

Call 613-533-6745, browse the website or visit the office in the John Deutsch University Centre (JDUC) Room 135. 

You can have your lease reviewed by coordinator Joan Jones, and ask any questions about property standards, sublets, leases, and essential Kingston services.

Online, you can find similar information as well as links and resources to other important organizations. Use the Student Community Relations site map as a quick reference for all the information available. 

Student Property Assessment Team (AMS Municipal Affairs Commission)

If you are unsure about whether your home meets minimum property standards, you can call the Student Property Assessment Team (SPAT), a committee in the Municipal Affairs Commission, for an informed opinion.  SPAT aims to proactively improve the quality of housing at Queen's by conducting free property standards inspections for students.  After receiving basic training, students conduct inspections, upon request, in teams of two and then facilitate follow-up calls to the City of Kingston or fire department.  This program runs during the Fall and Winter terms, and is available to students in the AMS (undergraduate and some graduate programs).

For more information, or to volunteer, contact the SPAT committee chair at spat@ams.queensu.ca

Landlord and Tenant Board

This is an independent provincial agency whose role is to mediate and adjudicate disputes between landlords and tenants, and educate landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities.

The website includes information for landlords and tenants about leaving leases early and eviction proceedings. 

The Board also runs a Customer Service telephone line (1-888-332-3234) whose representatives can provide you with information (but not legal advice) regarding Ontario's Residential Tenancies Act.