Sexual violence: Assault, Abuse and Harassment
IF YOU EXPERIENCE SEXUAL VIOLENCE: YOU HAVE CHOICES
Go to a safe place. Call Queen’s Emergency Report Centre at 613.533.6111 or 911 for safety assessment and planning.
Seek medical care, STI and pregnancy prevention, and evidence collection at Kingston General Hospital's (KGH)Emergency Department; ask for the Sexual Assault/Family Violence (SA/FV) Nurse or call the KGH SA/FV Team at 613.549.6666 ext 4880.
Call Sexual Assault Centre Kingston at 613.544.6424 for 24/7 crisis support.
Contact Student Wellness Services at 613.533.2506 for health and counselling support and assistance.
Not sure what to do? Contact Barb Lotan the Queen’s University Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator by email at email@example.com, phone (613.533.6330), or at her office (B502 Mackintosh-Corry Hall Monday to Friday 8:30-4:30), for support, information and to review your options.
There are many services and resources on campus and in the community to support individuals who have experienced sexual violence, those involved in abusive relationships and those who may be experiencing sexual harassment.
- Barb Lotan is Queen's Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Coordinator. She can help you understand the options and connect you with the services you are comfortable with. Call Barb at 613-533-6330 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Barb's office is in B502 Mackintosh-Corry Hall, M – F 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Campus Security and Emergency Services: 613-533-6111 for Queen's 24 hr Emergency Line
- Queen's Student Wellness Services: For immediate help, an Urgent Care Clinic and Intake Counsellors are available.
Sexual Violence and Intimate Partner Violence – Call Counselling Services at 613 533 6000 ext. 78264 for confidential support, safety planning, accompaniment information, counselling, and referral to additional campus and community resources
- Student Health Services: Call 613-533-2506 to book an appointment with a doctor or nurse
- Counselling Services: Call 613 533 6000 ext. 78264 to book an appointment with a counsellor.
- Queen’s Human Rights Office: 613-533-6886 to talk to an advisor about sexual harassment
- Sexual Health Resource Centre, JDUC Rm 223: 613-533-2959
- AMS Peer Support Centre, JDUC Rm 34. Drop-in peer support every day between 2 -10 pm
- SGPS Student Advisors - Email email@example.com to book an appointment with an SGPS Student Advisor (peer support)
- University Multi-Faith Chaplain Kate Johnson, JDUC Rm 142B or 613-533-2186 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sexual Assault Centre Kingston: 24-hour crisis line at 613-544-6424 or toll-free 877-544-6424.
- Kingston General Hospital (KGH) Sexual Assault/Family Violence (SA/FV) Program: Survivors can visit the KGH Emergency Dept. and ask to speak to the SADV nurse or call 613 549-6666 x 4880 24 hr
- KGH: 613 548-3322 24hr
- Frontenac Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Service (FVCRS): 613 548-4834
- Community Crisis Referral and Information Service: 211
- 24-hour crisis support and referral services for men: 1-866-887-0015
- In From The Cold Emergency Shelter: For youth, women and men.
- Interval House Women's Shelter: A shelter for abused women and their children. Call the 24-hour crisis line at 613-546-1777 or 1-800-267-9445 (toll free).
- Kingston Youth Shelter: Emergency overnight shelter, counselling, and food for youth, ages 16-24 - 613-544-3400.
- Robin's Hope Transition House: Transitional housing for women leaving Interval House
- Ryandale Shelter for the Homeless: Emergency overnight shelter for men and women and their families - 613-548-8466.
Queen's fact sheets and documents
Resources from the Queen's Human Rights Office and Student Wellness Services:
- Sexual Harassment:
- Information from Queen's Human Rights Office
- Queen's Harassment/Discrimination Complaint Policy and Procedure, 2000
- On-line Sexual Harassment Training
- Basic knowledge and skills required to prevent and respond to incidents of sexual harassment in academia.
- Sexual Violence:
- Steps to take if you experience sexual violence (PDF 60 KB) - Poster - Best printed on 11x14
- Queen's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Working Group
- Queen's Sexual Violence Policy, March 2016
- Do you know a woman who is being abused? (PDF 390KB), a December 2007 publication of Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO)
- Sexual Assault and Women with Disabilities, from the Disabled Women's Network Ontario, 2003