Office of the Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs

Queen's University
Search Type


Student Affairs

site header

Support services for students in distress

Good mental health is a key part of student wellness and success. One in four university and college-aged students will experience a mental health problem. Please know that there are things we all can do to help people in distress.

If you are experiencing distress, there are on-campus and community resources to support and help you.

If a friend talks to you about feeling overwhelmed and isolated, or of being in emotional pain that is too great to bear, or wanting to harm themselves or end their lives, PLEASE don't ignore this. Listen and be supportive, and encourage them to talk to someone who can help.

On-Campus Resources

  • The university's 24-hour Emergency Report Centre is 613-533-6111
  • Student Health Service (Student Health Services) – 613-533-2506
    Call for an appointment with a doctor or nurse for confidential support
  • Counselling Service (Student Wellness Services) – 613-533-6000 ext. 78264
    Call for an appointment with an experienced professional counsellor for confidential crisis support or 1:1 counselling. There are also on-site counsellors in Residences, the Faculties of Engineering and Applied Science, Queen's School of Businesss, Education, and in the School of Medicine.
  • ​Outreach Counsellor/Student Life Advisor, JDUC - Hagar Akua Prah specializes in responding to sexual assault, relationship violence, LGBTQ issues and other social identity issues. Call or email to book an appointment: 613-533-6000 ext. 78441 or
  • Cross-Cultural Advisor: Dr. Arunima Khana helps support the intercultural adjustment
  • University Chaplain – 613-533-2186 for non-denominational support and service
  • Queen's International Centre (QUIC) – 613-533-2604
    Personal support and referral for international and exchange students
  • Alma Mater Society (AMS) Peer Support Centre – 613-533-6000 ext. 75111
    For social and personal support from a trained peer support person, drop by Room 34, JDUC or call for an appointment. 
  • Society of Graduate & Professional Students (SGPS) Advisors –
    Call for advice, advocacy and referrals on issues of well-being 
  • Campus Security and Emergency Services: call 613-533-6733 for after-hours access to support
  • Residence Dons: If you live in Residence, talk to your Don. Your Don will listen, support you, and refer you to appropriate services.

Kingston Community Resources

  • Telephone Aid Line Kingston (TALK) (7pm to 3 am) 613-544-1771
  • Sexual Assault Centre Kingston (24 hours) 1-877-544-6424
  • Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgender Youth Line (Sun-Fri 4-9:30pm) 1-800-268-9688
  • Kids Help Phone (24 hours) 1-800-668-6868
  • Frontenac Community Mental Health Services (24 hours) 613-544-4229