Student Awards


Student Awards

site header

FAQs - Work Study Program

The Work Study program is offered jointly through Career Services and the Student Awards Office to provide students in financial need the opportunity to receive priority for certain part-time jobs during their academic terms.

Questions about Entitlement Eligibility?

Questions that are Job Related?

Answers about Entitlement Eligibility:

Do I have to be registered in summer classes to be eligible for work study in the summer term?
Yes, students must be enrolled in the academic term they are applying for work study in.
Is the Work Study transferable if I don't use my full entitlement?
No, if you do not use the full amount of your entitlement for the academic session you will lose your entitlement. For example, if you have not used all of your entitlement in the fall/winter session you cannot transfer the entitlement to summer session.
Do I have to have government student assistance (for example: OSAP) to qualify for work study?
Yes. Domestic students are expected to access government student assistance before being considered for a work study entitlement. Work study is a need-based program and priority is given to students who are extended financially. In addition, students must have qualified for at least $7140 in government student assistance to be considered for a fall/winter work study.
How will I know if I have been granted a work study entitlement?
Your work study entitlement will show in SOLUS under “View Financial Aid” and the Student Awards Office will notify you at your Queen’s email account.
Do I have to be in a minimum course load to be eligible?
Yes. You must maintain a full-time academic load for undergraduate students (this is typically 18 units or more over fall and winter) or graduate students or 40% academic load for students with a permanent disability) to remain eligible for your entitlement. If you drop below a full-time academic load), your entitlement will be cancelled and you will no longer be eligible for the Work Study program.

Answers that are Job Related:

How do I find a job?

To apply for work study positions, students must FIRST receive a work study entitlement from Student Awards. Job postings are available on MyCareer at Career Services. Start your job search early!

What do I do once I have secured a job?
Once you have an employer who has hired you, your employer must obtain the Employment Contract by contacting Career Services.
Can I hold more than one job?
Yes.  A student is permitted to hold more than one job as long as the combined total hours associated with all of the work study jobs do not exceed the specified entitlement. Also, both employers must be in agreement.
How will I get paid?
You will receive direct deposit for your pay bi-weekly. You will need to submit time sheets bi-weekly to your employer.