Student Awards


Student Awards

site header


Definition and Causes: 

Any time there is a change in a student's OSAP account it can result in a reassessment of their funding. For example:

  • reducing your course load
  • opting out of student activity fees
  • receiving more award funding 

Any of these situations could result in a reduction in your OSAP entitlement.  If after these changes are made a student is no longer entitled to all the OSAP funding they received they will be have an OSAP overpayment. In other words, an overpayment occurs when a student has received more OSAP than they were entitled to receive.

It is a student's responsibility to contact the Student Awards Office when they have made changes in their course load, income or student status that may impact on their OSAP entitlement. Please review the Making Changes to Your OSAP Account section for further instructions.


The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development will notify a student each time that their OSAP account is reassessed. It is then the student's responsibility to log onto their OSAP account to review their entitlement. In some cases an overpayment will impact a student's eligibility for further financial assistance through OSAP. In these situations the Ministry will send additional information to the student.

Repaying an Overpayment: 


An overpayment can be repaid as a lump sum or in installments.

To repay an overpayment you must contact the National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) at 1-888-815-4514. 


The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development requires confirmation of repayment from the National Student Loans Service Centre. (A receipt from your financial institution is not sufficient.)

Once the overpayment has been repaid in full, you can (a) request a receipt from the NSLSC displaying your name, the amount(s) and date(s) of the payment(s); or (b) print a statement from your NSLSC account displaying your name, the date(s) and amount(s) of the payment(s) made. 

The confirmation of repayment can be mailed, faxed or scanned/emailed to the Office of the University Registrar (Student Awards).